Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Wave1games   Wave1games  

Member  Message

Wave1games
View Profile

My Leapord Gecko Cynthia just died. I’m not sure why. Please help

Hi guys. My gecko just died and I feel terrible. I’m not sure what happened to her. I found here over her water bowl and she was missing her right hand! also her right eye looked messed up. There were 6 large mealworms in her habitat that I didn’t were still there. They were hiding under the moss. I gave her some mealworms last week and I thought I removed all of the uneaten ones. I believe they killed her but I honestly don’t know. I don’t have the money for a vet to do an autopsy but I really want to know what happened. I DO understand that having 6 large mealworms in there could be dangerous but here is the thing 1) I didn’t know they were in there they were hiding and 2) they were NOT that big last week!!!!
I am really upset. I remember the guy at Petsmart told me if you leave crickets in there with her they can eat her eyes, but there were no crickets found in there. They never told me mealworms could be dangerous. In fact she usually manhandled those things.
Here are the things I don’t understand:
Why was her hand missing?
Why did the mealworms elude me and how did they get so big in just one week?
What happened to her right eye? Did a worm latch on?
Why was there no blood in her body or around where I found her if her hand was ripped off?
What was the large black wet spot on her belly? Did she eat a worm and it was still alive?

I’m sorry if my questions are stupid. I really loved her and she was my first reptile. I am really sad. I just want answers. I already know it was probably my fault, but what exactly could have caused these things? I know I had too much moss in there because the worms were able to hide under it. But what else went wrong? :(

08/15/17  06:34pm

Wave1games
View Profile

Message To: Wave1games   In reference to Message Id: 2321075

My Leapord Gecko Cynthia just died. I’m not sure why. Please help

OK so I got a new Leopard Gecko and he is totally different. I think some of my questions were answered today at Petsmart. The new one ate 12 crickets in under 5 minutes! The old one 12 crickets would last her about 3 days. Sometimes there were uneaten crickets left over (dead) Her tail was very skinny and she was very very shy and always hiding. This new gecko is super active and jumping all over the place. The guy at Petsmart told me that a skinny tail is an indication of a sick gecko and a fat tail means he is very healthy. I wish I had known this fact before because I could have taken her to a reptile vet. I assumed her behavior was normal gecko behavior because I never had any other gecko to compare her to. She behaved like this since the first day I got her and her eating habits were always the same. Either they sold me a sick gecko to begin with or she never adapted to her environment once she got with me. I really don’t know. But at least now I know more facts and have a new healthy little boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDKj8Y8Tfc

08/18/17  10:15pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area