Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GeckoJenn   Kitty125   GeckoJenn   Kitty125  

Member  Message

GeckoJenn
View Profile

Help with heating! New to geckos!

Hi everyone! I am a new gecko owner and new to the forum. I did a ton of research and purchased everything I would possibly need to make the gecko comfortable. I am confused about heating and I hope someone can help. I love my leo and am worried I don’t have him set up right. He is in a 10 gallon tank. I have purchased a mini UTH for one side of the tank and I also have a dome fixture with a 75 watt black bulb to supplement heat when needed. I have a thermometer on the cool side of tank and a digital thermometer with probe on the other side, where the UTH is. I use paper towels as substrate. My question is this. Is having the probe lying directly on the UTH correct, or should I have it hanging from the side of the tank, a few inches over the UTH? I also have a thermometer/hygro combo half way up the heat side and it registers 10 degrees colder than the probe on the bottom of the tank. Is this ok? However, during the times my husband is home, it is considerably colder in our home and the thermometer i have half way up the hot side of the tank reads in the 70’s. I can’t get the thermometer halfway up the hot side to register between 85-90 unless i use the dome lamp too. When I have to use the dome lamp, if I put it directly over the UTH heater area, the UTH registers over 100 degrees! I’ve tried using just the dome lamp by itself and just the UTH by itself and just using one doesn’t keep the thermometer mid ways up the hot side between 85-90. I am so confused as to what to do! Any help is greatly appreciated!

10/19/16  09:02am

Kitty125
View Profile

Message To: GeckoJenn   In reference to Message Id: 2319673

A ten gallon tank is perfect 40- or 60-watt incandescent light bulb in a reflector fixture as a means of providing a focal heat source for the habitat. A red bulb can be used to provide some heat 90 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit that is appropriate for geckos. At night, the temperature can go as low as 64.

10/19/16  09:22am

GeckoJenn
View Profile

Message To: Kitty125   In reference to Message Id: 2319674

Thanks for replying. I tried a 60 watt bulb alone first, before using the UTH and it wouldn’t keep my heat up to at least 85. My house is extra cool when my husband is at home because he keeps the AC turned down low. What do you think about trying a 75 watt with a dimmer and not using the UTH? It seems like so many people say a UTH is a must, but some people disagree. It’s so hard to know what the right answer is!

10/19/16  11:26am

Kitty125
View Profile

Message To: GeckoJenn   In reference to Message Id: 2319675

A UTH is used more often because you don’t have to spend money on light bulbs but it’s not a must. A 75 watt should do the trick alone but if it doesn’t seem to do the trick you could continue the use of the UTH with the light bulb.

10/19/16  11:31am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area