Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leyaria   Kitty125   Eris  

Member  Message

Leyaria
View Profile

Worried about this lil guy, advice appreciated!

I work at Petsmart and today a woman walked in holding a box containing her leopard gecko. She grumpily stated she no longer wanted it and asked if we would take it. Regrettably, this is not permitted and the store can not do this. I informed her of this only to have her demand that we take it or she would simply leave it outside. I accepted the gecko not wanting him to perish in the cold outside. I noticed he looks very thin and lethargic and this stomach appeared black (he is of the albino variety). I attempted to feed him a cricket but he had showed no interest. Worried, I set him up a temporary habitat to get him some heat in an empty tank at work and went on a shopping spree during my break. I did my best to set up a habitat for him when I got home but he still refuses to eat despite being clearly underweight. His lethargy remains. I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do for him? Despite working with these guys regularly, I have never encountered one who didn’t want to eat or that had been so clearly under-cared for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10/15/16  09:02pm

Kitty125
View Profile

Message To: Leyaria   In reference to Message Id: 2319631

It’s probably just trying to adjust to it’s new habitat so maybe just give him a few days and if not try to feed him something else like mill worms.

10/17/16  09:21am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Leyaria   In reference to Message Id: 2319631

How is the little one doing? I would say that if he has not improved by of now, you should have a vet check him out. If your Petsmart has a vet, maybe you could sweet talk them into doing an exam for you. As far as feeding, if he is not accepting live food, you may want to try a critical care formula for reptiles.

A dark area on the belly and combined with weight loss and lethargy, could be an indication of Cryptosporidium, or "Crypto", which is typically a fatal illness. See this site about Crypto: http://www.goldengategeckos.com/crypto.htm

Also being impacted can cause similar symptoms. Has he passed any stools?

And thanks for being responsible and caring for him, when his owners wouldn’t.

10/21/16  11:24am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area