Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chorusfrog   Icearstorm   Chorusfrog   Crestielover21   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Vacation or not??? Need help ASAP!

So my mom told me that we’re going on vacation on July 9th down to Florida. I’m not allowed to bring my geckos, but I do have to option as to whether or not I want to come. Last time we went to Florida, I left my Chorus Frog Amber with my grandma, and when I got back she was dead. My mom is having my grandma watch our pets again..... She doesn’t want to do anything with the lizards. She won’t touch the food, and we’re going down there for about 10-12 days. Is there any way I could travel with them? Any ideas are accepted!!! Or should I just stay here and not risk it... How can I convince my parents to let me take them?

07/05/16  07:15am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2319020

I don’t have much experience with traveling with pets since I only keep mine for a few months before releasing them (as my reptlies are native and wild-caught, often by me), but I can certainly try to help.
What method(s) of transportation are you using? If you are traveling by plane, bringing your geckos along is probably not an option unless you mail them (which could be dangerous, expensive, and possibly illegal). Moving by car is likely your best option, so long as it is legal to transport them across state boarders.
I am unsure of how to convince your parents but my psychology class spoke of two techniques: ask for something small and then for something slightly more difficult until you get what you want (ex. ask for cookie, ask for one dollar, ask for some other stuff, ask to bring geckos with you) or ask for something unreasonable and later for something more reasonable (ex. ask for $100, get denied, and then ask to bring geckos the next day)... These techniques very well may fail, but the second seems better to me. You could present all the reasons you should bring the geckos (as well as planning how to bring them) after thinking of any contradictory responses they might come up with and countering them. This seems more likely to work. Or you could combine the evidence-based convincing with the psychology-class approach and see what happens.
If you leave them, there are several options that might work. If they eat dead food, you could buy an automatic fish feeder and loosely pack it with food, adjusting the time and amount of food dispensed, if possible. If they only eat live food, try putting two weeks worth of live insects in with them with their food (to keep them from eating your geckos) along with a very shallow dish of water or some other moisture source that won’t rot/mould. The geckos might overeat a bit, but they should be fine. As far as lightning goes, either leave the lights out or put them on a timer loosely approximating the day length.

07/05/16  03:40pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319023

We’re planning on taking our car.... I might try that second method. If all else fails then I could just leave the food in there with them. Thank you so much!

07/06/16  03:57am

Crestielover21
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2319028

If they eat them put mealworms in a bowl for few days worth with calcium and put some dubia in there they have n leave them ive never had a dubia bite.

07/06/16  05:15am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2319028

You’re welcome! I hope everything goes well : )

07/06/16  08:12am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area