Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cat and her geckos   Eris   Cat and her geckos   Cat and her geckos   Eris  

Member  Message

Cat and her geckos
View Profile

Leopard Gecko Euthanization?

So, a few months ago I bought a leopard gecko from PetSmart. I know, it was my dumb decision. But I gor a gift card to petsmart from my parents. Anyway, I’m pretty sure he has Stick Tail Disease. He started being lethargic, stays in the cold hide, and doesn’t even come out at night. I have all of the sides covered so my cat doesn’t bother him. He doesn’t even move anymore though. My parents won’t take him to the vet because they "are not spending 200 dollars on a LIZARD." I completely disagree with this. But since I can’t get the special things for him without a prescription, should I euthanize him? I’ve been crying all night because I really love him, and I want to keep him but don’t want him to suffer. And my parents don’t understand. So what is your view? I’ll post a pic of him.

05/16/16  04:53pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Cat and her geckos   In reference to Message Id: 2318408

Hi, I cannot imagine how hard this is for you. I am sorry to hear that your new friend is not doing well and you are now in this position. It takes a strong person to recognize when an animal should be let go when they are suffering, but that doesn’t make it any easier.

A few things to consider....One, Depending on how far gone he is, or what is the underlying cause for his illness, you might be able to nurse him back to health-I have had limited success with using the Reptic-Aid emergency food or critical care diet. Still, if you are able to get him stable, then a vet check for parasites and health would be wise.

Second, try talking to your parents again. Take the initiative and call a vet, explain your situation and see if they can get you a ballpark estimate to present to your parents. See if you can discuss a way to pay your parents back somehow. At the clinic I work for, it would be closer to $60-100 for exam($49), fecal($25), medication($8-30). It also wouldn’t hurt to reach out to Petsmart, although after their 14 day guarantee, they may still offer some help. The Banfields inside of Petsmart, typically run a special for a free office visit for first time clients (which is normally the most expensive part of a vet visit.)

Lastly, if he is too far gone, it is always best to have them euthanized instead of letting them suffer. You could check with your local shelters/vets and see if they will provide this service at a low or free cost for you.

05/17/16  07:59pm

Cat and her geckos
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2318412

Thank you for the sympathy. I really appreciate it. And It’s hard to say it, but I know he is far away. He doesn’t move anymore, or moves with pain, doesn’t hunt, and is just about skin and bone. I tried everything, I saw that food, I tried forcefeeding it but it’s head would just droop. He never opens his eyes anymore either. I live in Tracy, CA and if you could get me a name for vet that does low price euthanizations, I could show it to my parents and they would get convinced. They like it when other people do things for some reason.

05/17/16  09:37pm

Cat and her geckos
View Profile

Message To: Cat and her geckos   In reference to Message Id: 2318413

An update: today he passed away. The conversation is now over. I feel like I failed him on so many levels.

05/18/16  09:49pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Cat and her geckos   In reference to Message Id: 2318418

Sorry for my delay in response. I’m in the Midwest and not aware of any services in that area. I am truly sorry for your loss and that you had to go through this. Please do not feel that you have failed. Keep in mind that these animals are breed in large volume for pet stores across the country-some are bound to have illness or problems before you ever get them home. There was most likely nothing that you could of done differently to prevent this. Sometimes animals do not make it, no matter what you do. Remember, you gave him a loving home and you showed much care and compassion than most would of. You have a big heart and I hope that this does not deter you from giving that love to another.

05/24/16  08:12pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area