Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chorusfrog   Eris   Chorusfrog   Eris   Chorusfrog   Eris  

Member  Message

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Not eating and cut on his belly

Hello again! I’ve been having some issues with my Leos. Umm, first off, they aren’t eating. I feed them crickets, meal worms, wax worms and butter worms occasionally, the moth versions of wax n butters, and the mealworm-beetle things. They both quit eating recently and nothing I do is working, except for this morning when I flipped them on their backs and rubbed a cricket on the females mouth. She only ate one, and the male wouldn’t do it. Also, I think the crickets were eating on the males belly, because he has a small hole there. I rubbed Neosporin on it, but idk what else to do. Love y’all and thanks in advance!

03/25/16  02:14pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317572

Hi! Its sounds a bit odd that both would stop eating at the same time. How old are they? How big are their tails...nice and plump? How long have they been together? How are their stools-formed brown with a white part?

Normally, loss of appetite could be a sign of one of may things... parasites, stress, improper temperatures, blockage/constipation or viral/bacterial infections...

First, check your temps...If they are too cold they my be not wanting to eat and/or having trouble digesting previous meals. I believe, you said you have a heating pad-also check that its not too hot-they can get thermal burns.

If you just introduced them, it could be stress-I would separate so you can watch food intake and their bathroom habits.

Remove any uneaten crickets, they definitely will try to eat anything when they get hungry (I like to use a small glass bowl to keep worms and crickets from running loose in the cage.) Neosporin should not hurt your little guy-but he may need more medical attention if it does not heal. Is there any oozing, discharge or redness?

03/25/16  05:54pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317573

The male is about a year old, and my female is around 3 years. Their tails are quite large but getting smaller. I actually have them living in two cages to prevent breeding, and they live on different sides of my room. From what I’ve seen, stool looks normal but they are less frequent. I keep them around 50-75 degrees... too cold? I’m not sure. The cut on the males stomach is really red, and he recently had a partial shed. The skin over the cut didn’t come off, and there is dried blood on the inside. I’m not sure if the Neosporin is doing much, but I have most of it around a small hole that leads to the cut. Anything I should do?

03/26/16  08:40am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317576

Sound like they may not be getting warm enough-which if . Leos like a hot side at closer to 85-90 degrees and be sure they can get away from the heat to a cool side of around 70-74. I use a simple spot light atop of the tank and use a household 60 watt bulb-(you may need less wattage based on your tank size)-for day time and keep the heating pad on all the time. Be sure that the hot spot does not get above 90 degrees. And the whole tank does not get below 70 degrees. I would try correcting the temperature and see if that stimulates them to eat-hopefully it is something that simple.

As far as the wound. Sounds like it has scabbed over. Keep a close eye on it and be sure it isn’t getting bigger or opens up. I would leave the extra shed around the wound on for now, while it heals.

But as always, you may want to see a vet...better to get them checked sooner than later.

03/26/16  02:40pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317578

Thanks Eris, I’ll be sure to fix the temps asap. And is it possible that the unshed skin could cause a problem while it heals?

03/27/16  10:50am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317592

I really hope that it is something simple as temperature, but its a good place to start.

Without seeing it, may be hard to say for sure. If it looks like it is healing well it should begin to fall off (like when you or I would get a cut and it scabs over). However, he may need a little help too with the excess shed-but don’t force it. (I often have to soak my guy to help him get the shed off his toes). Check on it every day, just to make sure it is not getting infected (oozing/discharge). Also look for changes to the skin and area around. A healthy wound will be pink/red-means the tissue is alive and healing. Dark red could also just be dried blood (think scab again). If you see yellows/green/black then there could be trouble. Double check how hot the heating pad is getting-incase it was a thermal burn.

Keep me posted on how they are doing!

03/27/16  02:36pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area