Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chorusfrog   Eris   Animal Lover 3000   Chorusfrog   Eris   Chorusfrog   Eris  

Member  Message

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Sudden aggressive and reclusive behavior

So as you guys probably know by now, I have a Leo named Trevor. When I got him, he was such a sweetheart and loved being handled, but now he is being very mean and attacks my hand whenever I reach into the cage. I watched him from a distance last night and he never left his hide, and when I moved the waterbowl to him he ran out, bit me, and ran back to his hide. He also tries to bite me when I put food in the cage, and hunkers down and shakes his tail. I swear it’s like he started his man-period or something.... But yeah, it’s almost spring, and could this be territorial behavior? Like, for breeding? If not, what could possible be wrong with him...? I can’t even touch him or go near him without getting bit. Thanks for any help!

02/27/16  08:53am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317236

Hello! Maybe someone else here may have a better answer, but you may be right in thinking its hormonal related and he is becoming territorial. Another thought is maybe something spooked him and now he is now on the defense. Or with the change of season he is more hungry than usual...I know with my guy when he is in "hunting" mode I better not reach in or he will try to bite anything that moves. In any case I would give him some time and go slow with him.

02/28/16  06:37pm

Animal Lover 3000
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317267

So sorry to hear that but maby he’s hungry how often do you feed him it could also be terratorial issues, he could have been tramatized did he get injured while you had him with you or close to you in that case try to regain his trust.
i think i also herd somewhere that leos who were incubated at high temperatures can become aggressive later on in life. agian i said i think i dont know for sure so if someone could correct me that would be great.

02/29/16  08:15pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Animal Lover 3000   In reference to Message Id: 2317277

I always feed him every two days, and I am not aware of any injuries I may have caused. He moves around just fine and is very...alert. I honestly don’t know how he was cared for before I got him but I know that when I got him he looked fine....not sure. Maybe he was incubated too high but I think that’s only for the females. Thanks for the help guys!

03/07/16  06:54am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317351

How long have you had him? You said that you do not know how he was care for before...Maybe he was not in as good of shape or he could of been a bit lethargic, making him more docile. If his health has improved since in your care, he may be feeling better and more spunky now.

03/08/16  08:35pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317368

Weve had Trevor for about two months now... he could be lethargic, thats a possibility. He has gained a bit of weight since I got him, about 16 grams (good or bad?). And btw Eris, I just want to thank you for all of your help in the Leopard Gecko forum. You’ve helped me so much recently, and I thank you for that

03/31/16  08:33am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317645

It he is gaining weight that’s great! How are they doing? Have they perked up? And I’m more than happy to help.

04/03/16  07:39pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area