Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Velmarox   Takahiro111   Velmarox   Takahiro111   GibbytheGecko  

Member  Message

Velmarox
View Profile

New to Geckos; Help?

I acquired two Leopard Geckos from someone who didn’t want them anymore on 4/4/2015. I named the two of them Yoshi and Bowser. I noticed that Yoshi had a much smaller tail than the other, and seemed to be having some trouble shedding when I got her. I did a lot of research before I got these two, but I feel pretty stuck. It’s now been two days since I got Yoshi and I have soaked her in warm water and tried to peel the shedding gently with some tweezers, but that seems to only stress her out. Is there a better way to go about helping her out?

Yoshi is barely active, and won’t really move unless I take her out of the cage. She doesn’t even go into the hides ever. She just sits in the cage and doesn’t move for hours. Once she warms up in my hand she wants to run and jump everywhere. Bowser on the other hand will sit in my hand and chill out. She is more active in the cage, and hides a lot of the day. Once and a while I’ll catch her move from one hide to the next. Bowser is also the one with the fatter tail, so I am not too worried about her.

Also, the two of them came with food, calcium powder, and some dehydrated crickets. They seem to be fairly uninterested in the crickets, and both of them haven’t eaten yet. I tried to force feed them after reading a few articles online, but I can’t seem to get their mouths open. I was told to tap their snout line to get them to open up, but both of them are persistent on keeping their mouths closed. Maybe I’m too scared of hurting them? I’m kind of unsure on what to do, and worried about my new friends.

The setup they came with I am planning on changing entirely, but for now they are on some sand. They have a rock hide, and a log hide, as well as a small water dish and another dish for the crickets. I have been using a damp paper towel in their rock hide and replacing it twice a day to help Yoshi along with the shedding. They are both in a twenty gallon tank.

I want to change their substrate to something a bit more appropriate that they wont ingest, like Repticarpet, or something along those lines that is a bit safer and easier to clean. I also would like to get a moss ball and some new food for them.

So, I know that’s a lot of questions pack into one painfully long post, but let me sum it up really quick here:

1) Yoshi can’t get the skin off her toes and tweezers and warm water seem to stress her out. It’s now day 2. How do I help her?

2) The two of them haven’t eaten since the move. I have dried crickets that they came with. What could stimulate them to eat? I plan on changing their food. What should I try feeding them?

3)What substrate do you suggest that is both easy to clean and safe?

Thanks!
Velmarox

04/06/15  01:50pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Velmarox   In reference to Message Id: 2313082

New to Geckos; Help?

1. Since the leo is stuck shedding and nothing is working consult a reptile vet because it can be an underlying problem. Not to be rude but it doesn’t sound like they were being cared for properly before you took them in.

2. To help keep doing the warm baths but if its not help a vet is the last option also don’t peel the skin please especially if its not loose because it hurts,stress them and can be more vunerable to mites because as you peel the skin your damaging the new under layer.

3. Dried crickets??? What have the person before you was doing because they obviously wasn’t researching on leos. Get some dubia roaches,waxworms,occasionally mealworms,small grass hoppers,night crawlers,small silk worms,small hornworms,etc... There’s a wide variety of bugs although no wild caught,fireflies(toxic) and I’m not too keen on spiders. Dust with calcium 1-2x daily and make surw it has D3 in it.

3. On substrate sand is one of worst in my opinion because of the common issue ’impaction’ the lizard would try to catch bugs and end up with a mouth full of sand and the particles in it isn’t digestable instead builds up in the gut until he can’t poop causing severe pain and pressure then death if isn’t treated. Reptile carpet is without a doubt safe, I’ve used it when all of my reptiles were young the only thing you’ll have to watch out for is make sure the calws don’t get caught but if it does keep it clean with neosporin every day(do this procedure if the nail completely comes off).

******Note: Waxworms are addicting and can be unhealthy as as a staple but helps boost weight...Dubia roaches is a good staple and way better than crickets because they don’t stink,make noise and is more nutrious. The petsores domt sell most of the bugs listed above but to save momey in yourpocket go online buy bulks of a variety of insects...buy containers for the diffrent insects put little holes in the lid for ventilation, feed them everyday and keep hydrated with water crystals because still water drowns them. They’ll breed which saves you more money and seperate the babies from adult so you gotta put them in a seperate container. Clean the container from any feces,molded skin and dead bugs. Don’t worry if the leos stop eating crickets. Take a fecal(fresh) sample to the vet but put in seperate sealed zip lock bags with bowser name on one and yoshi on the other. Fecal samples aren’t expensive as a regular vets $20-40 with $50 the most.

04/06/15  06:05pm

Velmarox
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2313083

New to Geckos; Help?

Thank you so much! That is all very helpful information. I am planning on making a trip to the store tomorrow to grabs some things for them. Thank you for the wonderful insight on my new friends. <3

04/06/15  09:59pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Velmarox   In reference to Message Id: 2313088

New to Geckos; Help?

Your welcome I’m just happy I was of spme help and if you have any concerns don’t hesitate to ask. But I forgot something if their being housed together and aren’t matured yet get an extra cage with supply because reptiles are solitary animals and will fight or even kill eachother just for food,water,heat or a basking spot...so if housing together for the moment provide to basking spots and I’m happy the leos are in good hands I wish the best on you guys. And the one with the skinny tail isn’t a big concern unless he’s sick whichcausing him to looseloose weight...leos like some other reptiles store fat in the tail so they can go off food for a while without eating 3+ days but isn’t something we do in a routine feeding in captivity.

04/06/15  11:37pm

GibbytheGecko
View Profile

Message To: Velmarox   In reference to Message Id: 2313082

New to Geckos; Help?

First put a humid hide in there tank then make sure you have a warm and cool side then feed them live food like crickets,mealworms,etc. then if not any better bring them to a reptile vet

04/12/15  04:55pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area