Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LeoLuvr   Rae rae   Reflex   Reflex   LeoLuvr  

Member  Message

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Too old?

How old is too old to breed?

This is May, I’ve bred her once before with my male, Kurt, and she laid about 5 eggs in all and none of them turned out.....she was born Feb of ’06.

04/28/12  11:19am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2264592

Too old?

That’s a good question. I would like to know myself as well. My oldest female is around 7. She has not laid this year...or last year for that matter. But is in with the male.

04/28/12  05:13pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2264592

Too old?

Because all geckos are different based on health/genetics, how they are cared for, etc, there is really no specific answer for that, at least not one I could find. If they appear healthy and strong (also proven by a vet to be so) you can probably breed them at any age, though I believe number of eggs start to drop after about 10 years old.

I am biased though, leopard geckos are way too common for people to breed for fun. Just look at how many are on craigslist and pet stores being practically given away.

04/29/12  10:39pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2264794

Too old?

I also forgot to ask if she was a virgin before breeding? First timers tend to throw blanks their first breeding. Second breeding would be more successful. Remember, 5 eggs is a relatively small amount considering they can lay up to 20 from one breeding.

04/29/12  10:42pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2264795

Too old?

Yup, Kurt took her v-card.

I expected that was because of it being her first everything.
I’m excited to try again soon!
She’s in perfect health and everything, I wouldn’t even try to breed her otherwise.

04/30/12  08:04pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area