Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leopard.Gecko   Leopard.Gecko   KrazyKelli   Leopard.Gecko   MandibleHead  

Member  Message

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

I think I found out what’s wrong with Fattie!!! :)

Hey all, I know its been awhile since I posted here but I think I may have solved Fattie’s issues, or at least got on the road to fixing him. I believe he may have gone blind...I went to clean his tank today and I took him out and put him in a warm bath to loosen the remains of his latest shed. I took some tweezers and cotton swabs to some shed on his face and feet and when I was working on his face I realized that both his eyes are milky white. Maybe him being blind accounts for part of the reason he isn’t eating. Also I picked up the tank and realized that the UTH wasn’t putting out any heat. So I put my extra UTH on the tank and right now the tank is 95.9 F. I also think that not enough heat would cause his not eating (even though his thermometer was still reading between 80-85 about 2inches from the heating pad). I put some vitamin powder and calcium powder in some water and dissolved it and gave him some through a dropper and he looks a little brighter already.
Tomorrow I’m getting Chicken Baby Food and I’m going to add calcium and vitamin to it and feed him though the dropper again and get some calories in him before I try getting bugs into him since he’s been refusing them for such a long time. Hopefully he’ll perk up and eat some for me :)
Any suggestions or information you think I may need? Anything helps :)
Thank-you and I hope to hear from you guys soon :)
~Mariah :)

04/07/12  06:17pm

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Message To: Leopard.Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2261881

Hey again, I just wanted to say that I checked on Fattie just a few minutes ago and the milky white in his eyes is gone and they’re black again. He also is shedding again which I think is due to the bath I gave him today and the extra humidity I gave his hide so he could get his toes clean (he always tries to bite me when I touch his feet)
Also the skin around his eyes seems like it got all loose? I’m not sure what’s going on, I can’t wait to get that baby Food into him and hopefully get some bugs into him too. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to spike his appetite so he’ll eat and hopefully get better?

04/07/12  08:18pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Leopard.Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2261896

Geckos shed. They have shed over their eyes. This comes off with the shedding. Likely he may have had a buildup of stuck shed on his eyes, causing the milkiness. It normally isn’t milky like that unless months of shed has accumulated. I was about ready to tell you to go to a vet over that. But if they came off on their own, you’re heading in a positive direction.

My memory throws like a golden brick. Can you remind me of the full setup you have going on? Do you have a digital thermometer with a probe to measure ground temps and not one of those terrible sticker or analogue thermometers? Pictures of the gecko?

Forcing a gecko to eat will stress them out and may make matters worse. Have you tried the opposite? Leave him completely alone in a secluded room for a day or two then introduce a bowl of mealies, leaving it with him overnight and counting to see of any are missing? Sometimes giving too much attention is what ails a reptile. Too stressed to eat.

04/07/12  09:34pm

Leopard.Gecko
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2261905

I have green reptile carpet for substrate, a cool hide, a warm hide, and a humid hide. I also have some plants for extra cover and decoration. He has a water bowl and a bowl of calcium without D3. I change his water every 2 days and add dissolve calcium with D3 in it once a week since he hasn’t been eating. I can post pictures tomorrow of him and his tank when I have enough light. I do use a digital thermometer which at this very second reads: 95.9 degrees F.
I got him out and put him in a warm bath today because I’ve kinda been neglectful over the last week and noticed today that he had stuck shed on his face and feet (he never gets his toes, I always try and give him a bath after he sheds) I also dissolved some vitamin powder in a dropper of water and gave him a few drops on his nose to lick off (I’ve been doing this since he was a baby, he does it mostly by himself now, I just have to squeeze out a drop at a time for him)
I also tried to tweezer feed him a mealworm and a waxworm, he wasn’t having it.
My baby food idea was because he already drinks from the dropper so I thought I could use it to give him some nutrition too. Plus I was prepared to wean him onto hand-feeding if he was actually blind.
The thing is Kelli, I don’t think I’m stressing him out, I barely get him out of his tank other than to give him baths, clean his tank and try and feed him once in awhile. He isn’t really the most social gecko ever born lol.
Is there any other information you need to know that could help you? I really want him to get better, and if I get this job I could possibly take him to a vet, depending on when I get paid and how much it is. I haven’t gotten called back yet though :(
Hopefully you can answer me soon, thank-you very much.
~Mariah :)

04/07/12  10:44pm

MandibleHead
View Profile

Message To: Leopard.Gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2261911

Im a Leo noob, so anything krazy says in contrast to my suggestion id take his advise. But my suggestin/passing thought. Iv read wax worms are like traats to them right. If he IS blind, or still shows indication of it. What about say cutting a mealworm in half and tweezing it in front of him.Or putting it a little bit away i and see if he goes for it. That way he would smell the guts, mabey not even a waxworm, mabey just a mealy or somhing

04/09/12  12:40pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area