Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RjAmelcorn   KrazyKelli   Reflex   Reflex   RjAmelcorn  

Member  Message

RjAmelcorn
View Profile

Eggs

Hello, it been a while since i have posted, have a urgent problem.

I found a single egg on the cool side of my viv last night, not sure how long it was there for as a was out. I put it into a small tub with damp moss overnight on the warm side of the viv. This morning i have set up my Hova Bator and set the temperature at 32 c . I have several thermometers set up. the egg is now in a moss filled box at 30.4 c.
The egg itself is slightly sticky and a off white colour. Do you reckon its fertile?

This is my 1st year breeding my leos, i have had them for over 3 years. Lots of reading has been done in advance, (this is not a spare of the moment thing)

I have experience breeding corn snakes which i have had a great result in, hatched 29 out of 32 eggs last year :D

Any hints and tips on breeding leos would be great, thanks.

04/04/12  03:28am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: RjAmelcorn   In reference to Message Id: 2261368

Eggs

Vermiculite is the best substrate to put in a laybox. (random info)

If you’ve been breeding other reptilian critters, you shouldn’t have much of a problem breeding leos. Just keep the egg from tilting and keep the temps in the incubator constant. I’ve heard of people having a good time with perlite as a substrate for the eggs. Like with other reptiles, the temperature of the eggs during incubation can nudge them to one gender or the other (though it’s not always conclusive).

Mark the tops of the egg (and future eggs) with a black dot from a sharpie. This ensures that the egg will never tip and, if you have multiple eggs together, that a hatchling freeing itself will not tip another egg unknowingly and kill it.

I know that if the incubation gets too humid, the eggs can grow mold and this is DOOM for your future leo hatchling. How humid the incubator needs to be as a whole I don’t know.

The leo will lay one to two eggs every two to three weeks for the next while, so be prepped. Give the gravid one waxworms every once in a while so her weight doesn’t keel.

04/04/12  05:45pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: RjAmelcorn   In reference to Message Id: 2261368

Eggs

Is this the first time this female has laid? How old is she? They may be fertile, but virgin females tend to throw more blaanks.
What kind of moss are you using? Just curious in case the egg is successful. Anything that holds humidity is good, many people prefer perlite for more airflow to the bottom of the egg, less chance of moisture buildup that can be fatal to the egg. Vermiculite is just as good Imo, using it for my ball python eggs right now. Sphagnum moss, peat moss, eco-eath, Anne hatch-rote are all the things I can think of right now that make fair Inc medium. I used eco-earth with success with that single fertile gecko egg.

04/04/12  05:57pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2261493

Eggs

Ugh! Excuse the typos! Shame on me for not proofreading.

04/04/12  05:58pm

RjAmelcorn
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2261494

Eggs

All my females are 2-3 years old, its there 1st ever breeding. I started the egg in spag moss, but now moved it into a vermiculite tub. Fingers crossed!

04/06/12  11:37am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area