Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ryepie   Lani123   Kelso reptiles   Lani123   Ryepie   Lani123   MandibleHead   Reflex  

Member  Message

Ryepie
View Profile

Why is my baby lepord geko.....

my little lepord geko is a HOT WIRE!!!! But my big lepord geko is fine with me holding him! Why is my little lepord geko run away from mye when i go to pick him up? i got him the same time as the other one, he just a little bit smaller than the other one? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03/11/12  03:52pm

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: Ryepie   In reference to Message Id: 2258420

He is just not used not handling. Lemme give you more info later :) got stuff to do.

03/11/12  04:51pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2258425

like stated hes just not used to you holding him how would you feel if you were just siting their mining your own buisness when out of knowhere a huge hand comes in your home and picks you up you dont know if hes going to eat you or not

03/11/12  05:13pm

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2258428

Ok, I have the time to write up a big post now, lol.

Right now, this is what’s going on in his mind, "A giant monster just ripped the roof off my home and I think he want’s to eat me... RUN! HISS! JUMP! ’GET AWAY’!!!!" He needs to learn that you are safe, and he if safe a around you. First of all, open the lid calmly and hold your hand out with 3 or 4 mealies in it. If he eats them, your one step closer. If not, try this every day. Don’t even touch him yet. Once you’ve got that down, try gently stroking the back of his neck. Do this everyday for about 2 weeks. Be calm, don’t rush handling, it won’t work that way. After 2 weeks of that, gently scoop him up and see if hes calm. If you can do this, you’re done! Just make sure you take the next steps slow, like next maybe let him play on the floor with you. Do not attempt to have him stay on your shoulder, or go outside or anything else like that until you know for sure that you and him have FULL trust. A gecko falling 4 feet, can easily kill him, cause internal bleeding or similar things.

03/11/12  06:45pm

Ryepie
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2258437

thx so much ill try this then get bachk to you!!!!

03/12/12  07:19pm

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: Ryepie   In reference to Message Id: 2258566

Sounds like a plan!

03/12/12  07:23pm

MandibleHead
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2258569

oh really 4 feet. the guy who took myn out dropped him frombout three 4 FT ! and myns small. could he be swollen from internal bleeding ? and thats y he looks fat n healthy? the guy replied hell be fine they fall all the time when i asked if hell be ok. im startn to really not like Tony

04/04/12  06:08pm

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2258437

Okay, I know based on experience hand-feeding lizards. Don’t hold food out for it. First of all, it’s still scared of you, you’re just going to intimidate it. Touching, even moreso. Besides, he’d just run away anyway, following him around trying to pet his neck is torment. Second, if you WERE to somehow earn trust with mealworms, he will learn to immediately go for your hand for food.. You’ll probably get a lot of bites that way, it will immediately think your fingers are its food when you reach in there. He can also become dependant on it, my first gecko got dependent on handfeeding (I thought it was neat but it turns out to be time consuming in the long run, especially with a dozen other reptiles to care for) and it took me over a year to get him to eat food 100% on his own again.

Think about it - What is the goal here? To be picked up. How does one get used to doing something? Well, they do it of course! Scoop him up without fear or hesitation. Holding about the same time every day helps. If he squirms? Too bad. If he bites? Too bad. Do not let him down until he’s calmed down, or he’ll quickly realize he’ll gets the results he wants if he just fights enough. Especially if they’re kept in a quiet room, giving them notice of your approach helps. I usually open my door and start talking to them as I’m walking to their cage. The room my 6 geckos are kept in is quiet and the sudden motion and noise startles them, if I approach while talking gently, they do not feel stalked by me (the giant predator.)

Obviously though, don’t squeeze him or pinch the tail while he’s squirming.as you don’t want him dropping his tail.

04/04/12  11:16pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area