Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizardchic   KrazyKelli   Lizardchic  

Member  Message

Lizardchic
View Profile

Should i get more than 1 female?

I finally finished setting up the terrarium I got. It’s 50 gallons and my male Leo is in it. i want to get a female so they can breed together. what should I expect? can I keep just one female in there or should I buy 2? I’ve heard that just having 1 female stresses her out. I’d prefer not to have more than one but I’m still willing to have 2.

01/05/14  02:29pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lizardchic   In reference to Message Id: 2302909

You should not house one male with one female indefinitely. The male will repeatedly make advances on the lone female, expecting sex all the time, and both will end up very stressed out.

If you want to start a breeding colony, you’ll need 2+ females to a male. They’d all have to be adult, 1.5 or more years old, and roughly the same size/weight. Females that breed should be 60 grams at least so they can properly sustain the eggs.

Before you run off buying random adult leos, be sure to have a second tank set up to quarantine. New leos should be quarantined for 90 days + a vet visit to ensure they aren’t going to give your current male any parasites or diseases.

Consider the implications of breeding. One female in a season can lay up to 16 eggs, 2 eggs at a time. That’s 32+ eggs you could end up with. 32+ leo hatchlings. Do you have an incubator set up? Do you have a rack system to house the hatchlings in their separate containers? After all, you can’t house hatchlings from the first clutch with hatchlings hatched a few weeks later; Bigger hatchlings can bully and kill smaller ones. And you can’t house the hatchlings with the adults, because adults can eat babies.

Do you have a home for all of those future hatchlings? If you plan to sell, know that leopard geckos flood the market. Everyone and their aunt’s nephew can breed leos as easily as you, and backyard breeding of them is commonplace. Unless you have an expansive colony of much-wanted morphs, you are going to loose a lot more money breeding, feeding, housing, heating, and growing a ton of hatchlings than you will selling them off. Also be aware that many hatchlings sold off die within their first year from poor owners. People get leos not knowing they can live 15+ years, then either ’get rid of them’ for not being interesting enough, the leos die from impaction or similar mistakes, or the owner just stops caring for them and they die from neglect. Unlike dogs and cats, reptiles normally aren’t handed over to a shelter when they aren’t wanted anymore.

Saying, "I’m going to breed!" is easy. Understanding the full responsibility of bringing life into the world is not.

01/05/14  02:50pm

Lizardchic
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2302911

I’m really embarrassed to say this but today I found out lucky is a girl, so I decided to form a group of females instead of breeding.i don’t have room for 32 eggs,only 9.

01/11/14  01:20pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area