Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   Atlas 2010   Rae rae   Atlas 2010   Mich_01   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Day 68

Okay question;
For the egg I spoke about before...it is still incubating and this is day 68. All of my eggs hatch at 46 days. But I just couldn’t toss it yet. It still looks PERFECT! If the baby inside was already dead, wouldn’t the egg be sunken in, smell rotten, mold, or something by now? I’m thinking surely if it was dead there would be some sort of sign by now right?

I know it all depends on temps; all of my eggs are kept right around 85.

05/09/12  08:48pm

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2265848

Day 68

Hmm, it does seem a bit strange. My best advice is to 1) candle it again and check for any signs of fertility or 2) take it to an exotic vet in its deli cup.

05/10/12  04:21pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Atlas 2010   In reference to Message Id: 2265938

Day 68

What am I looking for when I candle it this late in the game. Last time I candled it was day 46 and I couldn’t really see anything...mostly dark. There may have been a pink tint to it but that’s it. Any specifics to look for at this stage?

05/10/12  05:30pm

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2265951

Day 68

At this stage it should be bright red, with many dark lines that indicate veins.

05/11/12  04:22pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Atlas 2010   In reference to Message Id: 2266073

Day 68

I wouldn’t take it to the vet, I dount you could keep the temp up if you did. I would just leave it be. It is very late .. at a temp setting of 85 you should get a mix of males and females and males incubate longer. That being said they usually hatch 40-60 days but as long as it looks healthy, spolid and white just leave it! If its dead then it will mold, get sunken and start to stink.

If you candle it at this stage it should look VERY full, you can even sometimes see movement. Just be sure to keep the egg right side up as you do this, don’t flip it over or you’ll kill it.

Hope it hatches and if so I hope the little guy inside is ok. Part of breeding unfortunately involves having to cull deformed hatchlings from time to time which is terrible but necessary. Wishing you the best of luck!

06/08/12  08:00pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2269274

Day 68

Okay, update;
I candled it on day 75, 1 week after originally posting. It was NOT full whatsoever! So I decided to go with the learning experience of opening the egg, figuring that it probably died somewhere during incubation. Well a fully formed baby came out, and didn’t move. I was shocked that it was fully formed because the egg only showed a very small portion to be dark where the baby was. It was just so tightly balled up that it didn’t take up that much of the egg.

And then...the baby began to move! SO I FREAKED and placed it back in the incubator for drying purposes. About 3 hours later I removed it and placed it in one of my hatchling containers.

Update on the "forced" hatchling; it is doing GREAT! It is thriving VERY well, eating, pooping, etc. And it is almost a month old now, growing all normally. So I really don’t know what in the world happened, if it would’ve hatched, if I should’ve left it alone, I don’t know! I’m happy it is doing well...but really I am not sure what I learned here? I don’t know what would’ve happened if I had not done that?!

06/11/12  01:34am

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area