Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   Mich_01   Rae rae   Rae rae   KatiiB   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

BABIES!!!! But also worried about one!

These 2 kids here just hatched today!! I weighed them in at 4 grams!

However, this little guy has me worried. It hatched 6 days ago and is not wanting to eat. It was a LOT smaller when it hatched than the ones today. The ones from today...their eggs were HUGE but this little one’s wasn’t. I’m wondering if there wasn’t enough moisture in the container. And also...6 days later, and it only weighs in at a whopping 2 grams. I mean that’s literally half the size of the ones from today! I just don’t know what went wrong! This one even from hatching seemed very weak and different. But since it was the first one of the year, I didn’t pay it any mind until I saw these today. Now I know something’s wrong. It actually looks thinner today than it did in this pic...this one was the day it hatched. Any advice?

04/13/12  10:59pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2262668

Its sad but sometimes some hatchlings don’t thrive like the others. How are you housing them? In little shoe box totes? That is the perfect size, small enough that they can get around and find their food. lightly spray the side of one of the walls so it can lick off some drops .. and you can try either tiny meal worms or maybe 1/4" crickets will get its attention and have its natural instincts kick in. Hope he perks up and is just a slow starter!!! One major downside to breeding is eventually you will have a hatchling that you will need to cull, its not pleasant, but it comes with breeding. If the other egg from the clucth is fine then I don’t think it was a moisture issue or anything you did, it just happens.

04/14/12  04:40pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2262718

Well this egg was alone. I have the eggs in individual containers as they are laid. And the 2 that just hatched were in a different container than this sad little one. And even the egg was not as big as they normally are. It has no interest in eating. I’ve been feeding the small mealworms because I don’t think he’ll move fast enough for the crickets. But no interest whatsoever. Oh well...hopefully it will want to eat. And if not, I will recognize when it’s the end. That’s the part I hate.

04/15/12  10:16pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2262858

Oh yea, and I do keep them in plastic shoe boxes. I have a paper towel in the bottom for substrate. A water bowl, and also I’ll put toilet paper rolls and empty mealworm containers that I cut to fit for their hides. And I use heat tape as well...all on wire shelves.

04/15/12  10:22pm

KatiiB
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2262859

What have you tried to offer him ? Try an assortment of foods. If it doesnt work, try some chicken baby food to get some nutrients into him.
- Kait

04/21/12  04:12am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KatiiB   In reference to Message Id: 2263630

Thanks. It actually started eating finally. And seems to be looking much better.

04/22/12  04:06pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area