Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reptile lover!   Rae rae   Reptile lover!   Mich_01  

Member  Message

Reptile lover!
View Profile

Please someone help me!!!!!!:’-(

One of my female geckos is not doing well. She is extremely skinny. She’s around 3 yrs old and she weighs around 20 grams. It’s sooo sad. The problem is she won’t eat. She used to be a fine eater but then she stopped. I have 5 other geckos and they are all fine. I’ve tried everything. I have tried force feeding and I have given her medicine. Please what should I do?!?

02/26/12  10:58pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Reptile lover!   In reference to Message Id: 2256980

Could be a huge array of different things. We need a little more info. What substrate are they kept on? Proper heating? And my vet told me they should be wormed twice a year as they can get internal parasites from their food. I don’t think I have any tricks up my sleeve for you...so you should probably take her to the vet. Sounds like it’s pretty serious. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

02/27/12  12:24am

Reptile lover!
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2256990

thanks. i keep them on paper towel. thank you for your help. i will

05/05/12  05:57pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Reptile lover!   In reference to Message Id: 2265403

Honetly that is a very scary weight for an adult female leo and I think you may need to consider putting her down ... I know thats a crapy answer but hear me out first

There are a number of things it could be but there are 2 VERY likely ones. If your other leos are near her remove them immediatly!!! Even if she been like this for a few months and they seem uneffected you need to get her in her own tote or tank now!!!!

A very common problem (and correctable!!) is pin worms. Only a fecal sample taken to your vet can confirm this and meds can be force fed by a dropper. There are many, many kids of pin worms and they spread at an alarming rate. The geckos won’t eat as these worms attack their digestive system and cause intestional bleeding.

Another very good possiblility is called Cryptosporidium, "Crypto" for short .. there is no cure I’m very sorry to say. Treatment is possible however it only reduces the amount of bacteria in the digestive system enough to hopefully allow the animal to digest a little before they get out of control again. Treatment is forced feeding and drops usually forced by syringe at a frequencey of one week per month for the REST of the animals life. That is extremely expensive, hard to care for and the virus can spead to other animals and even humas very quickly. I speak from experience and lost a few animals from one infected with crypto. If it is crypto you need to get rid of EVERYTHING, the tank, bowls, tongs, plants. All of it. Some people believe these objects can be cleaned by using a bleach mix however that is not true.

I wish you the best of luck and know where your coming from :(

06/08/12  07:55pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area