Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   PCR2011   Rae rae   PCR2011   Rae rae   Leah123   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Need help (Leah) :)

I said your name because I know you obviously have a LOT of experience hatching these guys...since you said you have like 100 eggs! Lol! Okay, so my little egg didn’t make it. I checked on it about a week after being in there and it was pretty dented in and being candled it was just yellow with no hope. Is there a perfect ratio to use? I tried googling when I first began breeding...said to use perlite. Well I did and none made it. When I began using vermiculite they all started hatching.

However even with using vermiculite with the ratio that I read...they didn’t hatch using that. My husband actually started just doing a "spray water until it feels right" kind of ration haha! They pretty much all made it. But I’m wondering if there is a correct way to do it...or do you just guess as well?

02/20/12  11:26pm

PCR2011
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2256245

I have used verm and hatchrite....

Verm is a pain IMO so since I have crossed over to hatchrite, I love it!!!!

02/21/12  11:23am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: PCR2011   In reference to Message Id: 2256286

Hatchrite? Hmmm...guess I’ve been out of the game too long. Where would I get that?

02/21/12  10:05pm

PCR2011
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2256343

lllreptile
thebeanfarm
reptilebasics

almost any reptile supply store should carry it

02/27/12  03:56pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: PCR2011   In reference to Message Id: 2257036

Nice...I think I did order my heat tape from one of those. It’s been so long now, and I have such a bad memory! Thanks!

02/28/12  12:04am

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2257108

Is this for me Leah?

If not ill give you my experience anyways lol.

Since ive been breeding for a while i dont weigh out my substrate to water anymore because i know how it should feel.
I think most breeders do a 1:1 ratio with either perlite or vermeculite. I use a mixture of coco fiber and perlite as my substrate, but im trying vermiculite (along with the GEO incubation container) to see how it does this season.

As far as any dented eggs; I mix a incubation cup with a higher water ratio and keep them sitting on that until they decide to fill back out. If they dont seem to be filling back out and show no pink when candled, they are bad and will mold.

Leah

04/03/12  11:36am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 2261242

Thanks! I finally figured it out. And I never measured anything...just been feeling it out like before. But it worked so that’s good.

04/13/12  10:46pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area