Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MissYouGeico   Chameleon_man   MissYouGeico   Chameleon_man   Rae rae   MissYouGeico   Rae rae   MissYouGeico   Rae rae  

Member  Message

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Popping abscess plan, good?

I am not in the position to be taking my leopard gecko Hershey to
the vet to get her abscess/cyst popped for 100s of dollars, and the
medication they give to knock the gecko out is life threatening, so I plan
on popping it myself... I’m a bit nervous to be doing this but I think I can
do it. And keeping her in one position is not going to be a walk in the park.

My plan is to get some Baytril, take out my saline solution, and sterilize a
needle. Then i’ll try my best to find the correct dosage of Baytril by weight.
After that i’m gonna just go for it and hope for the best... I’ll stick the needle
in the cyst/abscess, drain all the pu.s, and then fill the old hole with saline,
and keep rinsing the wound with saline daily to keep it sterile. She will be on
Baytril during the process and for some time after my treatment to prevent
the cyst/abscess from coming back.

Sound like a plan? Oh, and please don’t go off topic and start getting mad at
me for not taking Hershey to the vet, I simply cannot afford it!

Thanks~
Amber

02/04/12  01:22am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2253904

well sounds like you got a plan. lol i am not going to tell you to go to vet and i am not going to tell you not to do it. just make sure you know what you are doing :-) and the best of luck to ya.

02/05/12  02:39pm

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2254011

Thanks, i’ll try my best! Oh and update, i’m not getting any Baytril...

02/05/12  06:41pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254056

why not?

02/05/12  09:54pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2254080

Well you’re on track with cleaning it out, and needs to be on antibiotics. I do work for a vet, however she does not do exotics. Yes, I actually have to take my leos elsewhere when it comes to vet care lol! However, I do treat abscesses a lot in dogs and especially cats. We do use baytril on these guys...but I do know that baytril shouldn’t be used on puppies (younger animals) unless really necessary because it can cause something like bone growth abnormalities...maybe it was something to do with cartilage not sure. Anyway, I definitely don’t know about using it on leos. But, in any case, hope it works out for ya!

02/05/12  10:52pm

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2254080

Because, it is a pretty strong drug that can kill...

What do you guys think, Baytril or not?

02/06/12  01:28am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254121

Well I think that will be a decision you’ll have to make on your own...lol!

First, are you sure it’s an abscess? If it is a true abscess, (this is how it goes with cats most of the time) it isn’t enough just to clean it out. And it’s not enough to use just antibiotics...both need to be done. If there’s not "fluid" type of material in there, then it may be a mass/tumor instead.

However with baytril being such a strong antibiotic you have to remember it also kills good bacteria as well. Can cause (in mammals) upset stomach and diarrhea, and yeast infections. Not sure of side effects with reptiles though.

Honestly I am sure I have been no help...because I don’t know what to tell you haha! Maybe do some research on reptiles taking baytril. Dosing and proper length of time of using it is also detrimental as well.

Well good luck.

02/08/12  10:37pm

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2254597

I’m using baytril, she will be under very intensive care while use. I may
not even offer vitamins/calcium’s during treatment.

02/11/12  10:51pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254882

How will she be under intensive care? I am really wondering now...how do you plan on popping it? Cleaning it out? What will you clean it out with? How much Baytril will you use? Where are you getting the Baytril from? And I just noticed what you said about the anesthesia...it’s the same as sedating any other animal. My leo, Flower broke her leg at one point...was gassed down, x-rayed, and a splint was placed on her leg. Yes that visit cost exactly $99. But they are your responsibility. I have been thinking on it, and I don’t really think that you should play doctor. When people play doctor...with infections, dosing and administering strong drugs...it is a disaster waiting to happen.

The last people I saw play doctor on their dog...well that puppy is no longer with us. I have seen ALL kinds of things that people claim they got from the internet, or that their best friend breeds dogs and told them what to do, or I’ve had cats for 20 years I know what I’m doing...when really they don’t.

Better example of why you should go to a vet; The worst clients we ever have walk through the door are nurses! (No offense) I mean nurses walk through the door thinking they are god. They claim it to the world! If I try explaining things to them, they say, "I already know that, I’m a nurse." Or, "You don’t have to explain, I have a medical background." That really irritates me. Last one that came in that acted like that...her dog was emaciated, not eating, and bloody stools...because he was so full of hookworms. And if you have your dog on proper heartworm prevention then that shouldn’t happen. She was dosing out her own Ivermectin because she thought she could play doctor.

So there ya have it...go to the vet. Don’t ask us, don’t ask a nurse lol! If not, give it away. Don’t wait until the infection is running through her bloodstream and there’s no hope for her. And better yet...you may find out that it’s nothing to worry about. Either way...telling you how to play doctor on your leo is not what we are all here for. Sorry.

02/15/12  10:19pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area