Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum

Reptic guy   Diabloblanco   Kill.Joy  
 Member  Message

Reptic guy
View Profile

Breeding

Hey guys i really want to start breeding i have a male in a 30 gal and want to buy a female can she just share the 30 gal with my male? or is that only during breeding season

07/22/11  04:25pm

Diabloblanco
View Profile

Message To: Reptic guy   In reference to Message Id: 2230149

Breeding

She could share the cage with him year round as long as they get along. If they start getting bite marks on each other then they should be seperated. Also if you leave them in there year round they might become more like friends and stop breeding. That happened to me when I first got leopard geckos. I had a pair in the same cage for about a year and they stoped breeding because they were so used to each other.

07/22/11  04:35pm

Kill.Joy
View Profile

Message To: Reptic guy   In reference to Message Id: 2230149

Breeding

Hello, Reptic Guy.
I’m going to warn you, now, as a breeder, that mating in leopard geckos can be a violent affair. The male will begin to walk around the female, and may shake/vibrate his tail around the enclosure. He is exuding a waxy substance from his pre-anal pores (the V-shaped row of pores that can help you identify him as a male), and marking his territory. He will then bite the female at the base of the tail. It is rare for a female to accept him at first, and she will often reject him. But he’s persistent, and will try again later. The female will accept him... eventually. After that, they will mate multiple times, producing two eggs per clutch.
The male bites the female at the base of the tail, and takes little nips, making its way up towards her neck/ back. They will curl their tails together and the male will fertilize the eggs. Again, this will happen multiple times.
I can give you links to good places to buy equipment, and excellent resources. Don’t be afraid to contact me with any questions you have!

Oh, and to answer your question (head/desk), you can introduce them as soon as you are about ready to take care of eggs. Just don’t forget to provide a good laying site once your female is gravid! After mating, you can keep a male and as many females as your enclosure will allow together year-round, if they get along. Don’t forget, you’ll have a lot of little baby leos to feed, and gravid females can require extra/special care. It can get to be expensive. Again I can always tell give you any extra information.

07/26/11  01:46pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area