Geckos-Golden Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ryujinzo   Ryujinzo  

Member  Message

Ryujinzo
View Profile

Need some help with a goldie

Ok so first off...im not a beginner to reptiles or at least don’t consider myself one...altho I’m far from an expert...ive owned a veriety....sand boa...ball python....a few boa constrictors....and a leopard gecko.....so...my issue now...is my goldie...to start things off I’d like to list my current knowledge and some other information to help better explain everything....

1: not sure the sex...the person I got it from at a reptile expo told me it was female...

2: I have only handled it 2 times...when I got it ...and when I transferred it to its temp home (10 gallon...i know I need a bigger tank and I’m working on it) but when i purchased the gecko it was in a container the size of a nightcrawler container.....and the 10 gallon was all I had...and admittedly...i didn’t really research it...it was an impulse buy because I wanted a new little friend lol

3: I purchased 2 lizards..1 black.... 1 fairly whitish yellow....i didn’t know that it wasent a different morph....and yes I mean black...not brown...it died that night....but the other seems to be a good weight judging by all the pics I’ve seen...and it usually stays a pale blueish color with exeption to its tail (solid goldish) and a strip of yellowish brown (gold) coloration stripe all the way to the back of its neck...and the yellow often changes depending on the lizards mood...im aware dark means stress...and I’ve heard most goodies aren’t really gold (like Wikipedia pic) so I’m wondering if "she’s" relatively healthy....or what I can do to bring "her" mood up....

4: ive owned it for id say...perhaps 8 days...and still can’t get "her" to eat...ive put in an abundance of mealworms... (usually 10) just so it catches her eye... (as some move some don’t really)...ive left a small dish of pureed baby food..and nothing...i have a small water dish set up but it’s untouched...

5: I mist twice daily and keep the heat during the day at around 80ish and the humidity ranges from 50-80...id like to stabilize it alot more...but don’t really know how...i use a 50 watt incandescent for day...and a blue reptile 50 watt for night hours...although my room stays around 70-80 degrees...ive heard about the bubbling air stones...for humidity...and heating pads instead of lights...but idk...never used either...

6: I have not taken her to a vet...for the same reason I don’t have a bigger tank...cash...so I’m really trying to do my best with what I have...and my own research..but behavior seems pretty normal from what I understand...she darts for safety rather than really trying to get out too much..but does have that "I’m planning my escape" feel...she has no interest in being touched at all or picked up..she will flee everytime...or sort of...do what I call a "tail whip and run maneuver" if you touch her...and if you do manage to get her...she will leap from your hand to shirt..and scurry straight for the shoulder... as well as she tends to shift between the top of a rock structure(large aquarium fake stone)-(acts as a basking platform.which is completely out in the open..and closest spot to the light also the same structure has a cave sort of area with 2 holes which she hides in and peeks out of to watch me go about my day)... and her second favorite spot.. ( vinyl vines with leaves I’ve strung through the plastic slated lid to form a canopy/hammock and made it rather dense....i also have a log with colored vynal plants sitting upright on the right hand back corner as to give her a place to crawl into off the canopy( which she doesn’t do...she never goes near the log for any reason...like she doesn’t like it honestly....or is just disinterested and I may be removing to give her more space..cause it does seem kinda cluttered with both large structures...also I have a "moss mat" instead of substrate because a bad incident when my leopard got choked...and to try and help with humidity...as well as I have 3 sides cardboarded to promote seclusion...so again trying to figure out a way to promote more happiness with what I have available atm...

7: she is in a secluded room...and I usually work from 5-11...so her day/night scheduals is a bit off...dont know if that matters or not...

And general concerns at this point are A:she won’t eat....and B:is she a healthy color because behavior seems pretty healthy...ive found 3 poops all piled together...like fat grains of white rice..and seem to be solidish...no apparent slime...or goop...just a slightly wet appearance..and another tiny itty bitty cluster of 3 that seems to be a little more brownish and less wet looking and much more solid..in another corner.....so with the white poop I believe she is hydrated well...as I’ve read they prefer to lick moisture off leaves than out of a bowl...the canopy I’ve built kinda acts as a hammock/mist collector and she’s in it frequently...about 40% of the time I check on her....i tend to check on her alot...every hour or so....im very attentive to her...but also very standoffish as to not stress her with handling...i don’t ever open the lid (which requires you to lift it out completely ) unless it’s to change food/water or to mist in which case I usually only lift it slightly and mist with a spray bottle thru the crack....and I have an old shirt on top covering 80% Or so to block in as Much humidity as possible...because the lid is highly slatted...i leave just enough room for the light on top...and a small area around the light to "breathe" or "vent"...so I’m just wondering if there is anything I can do to make her happier? Is there any info I may be missing...i kinda get the basics...and I’ve checked wiki on general info about her species and homeland....the tey ninh providence in vietnam also known as black virgin mountain and all the YTD graphs of its heat and humidity ranges as well as anual rainfalls...id just like to know if I’m missing something...and if there’s anything I can do short term untill I get her 30 gallon vertical tank...i have so Much love for our scaly little friends..and it really broke my heart when the other died... (found it next to the water dish completely straightened out and arms tucked in to its body...at the time they were housed in an 18 gallon plastic tote...together..but pretty much kept a distance from one another...the black was always on the lid...while the one I still have hid in the bottom under some paper towels...i know she seems alot happier now...but there’s still alot of improvement I’d like to see...all in all she seems kinda curious about me when I check on her...i feel like she watches me as much as I watch her...lol..well...any information anyone can give me would be very much appreciated...and I’ll be uploading pics shortly

12/11/17  02:26am

Ryujinzo
View Profile

Message To: Ryujinzo   In reference to Message Id: 2321622

Need some help with a goldie

Ok so phones being stupid and won’t let me upload so if needed I will email pics

12/11/17  02:45am

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area