Geckos-Golden Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckokid21   KrazyKelli   Geckokid21  

Member  Message

Geckokid21
View Profile

Food mixing anyone?

k all my gecko eats is hand mashed bannana. im thinking if i were to mix crikets,waxworms,and some chicken mash to it every now and then can i get him to get more nurition in his diet.can i also use different fruit instead of bannana or will it upset his stomach???

06/19/12  01:31am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Geckokid21   In reference to Message Id: 2270500

Food mixing anyone?

fruit is meant to be a treat, not a full time meal. They can get addicted on fruit if you feed it all the time - kinda like how people can get addicted to icecream or chocolate. A stubborn, sick, or really stressed out golden gecko may also reject normal food.

So stop giving fruit all together and switch to crickets, mealworms, and superworms (one super per feeding). I trained my goldie to eat from a see-through plastic cup. It not only lets him know where the food goes, but also is a challange to him on occasion. Just take a cup, pop in a handful of mealies or a super or two, and leave him alone. See if the food goes away magically overnight or in a day or two. At worse, get a super and coat it in banana mush.

Btw, waxworms are also supposed to only be given as a treat. They can also be addictive and equate to feeding someone a tub of lard. Not healthy.

06/19/12  10:14pm

Geckokid21
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2270600

Food mixing anyone?

i dnt alwys feed it fruit usually once every month bannana.ive trained (well it trained itself to take certain food from my hand like supers though it over shoots its target and gets my hand insead.ow.i acually hate waxies i only use them as a last resort if one has begun to be stubborn and lost a fair amount of weight.

06/24/12  04:24pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area