Geckos-Golden Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Erbarner   KrazyKelli   Erbarner  

Member  Message

Erbarner
View Profile

I need of a little help!

A friend of mine just gave me a golden gecko that used to fight in a tank with another (male/male). They told me that he eats very well but he only ate one cricket. He rarely moves unless i move the tank(ten gallons). I have his surroundings right but my house doesn’t stay warm at night as it does during the day. I have a 75watt reveal light over him but at night i put him in the kitchen were it is warmer,and without much light. Every morning he is purplish witch i found out is gray. He goes back gold in the evening. What does anyone recommend.

12/09/11  11:56pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Erbarner   In reference to Message Id: 2246672

I need of a little help!

Definately get a bigger tank. A goldie should be in a 20 gallon high Minimum, bigger if you can provide. 10 is way too small.

Keep the tank on a higher floor of the home; as heat rises, the top floors tend to be the warmest. Also keep the tank away from any windows. For now, the tank should be in a secluded room away from too much activity. If people are walking by the tank all the time or there’s a ton of commotion during the day, it’ll freak the lizard out. Kitchen is a bad place because of this.

Have a digital thermometer in the tank. The fishtank sticker ones and dial ones can be upwards of 10 to 20 degrees off. And it’s silly not having a thermometer at all, as then you wont know the temps. There are lamps for the night, in blue and red respectively, that can keep the tank warm as well if it gets too far below 75F. During the day it should be high 80’s on the hot side (89 is prime). And humidity should be 70%+. They like moisture.

The gecko not moving at all, not eating, and being dark during the day all relates to intense stress. Golden geckos are exceptionally prone to being stressed out. He may need two or more weeks to settle in. During this time, outside of misting the tank and feeding him (and upgrading him to a better tank*), don’t mess with the tank at all. Cover three sides of the tank with a grocery bag or cardboard so he’ll feel more secluded. Don’t handle the gecko, as they are not meant for it and should be treated as a display lizard. For feedings, have a plastic party cup in a back corner of the tank and put a handful of mealworms in there (10 or more) or, optionally, pop in one two three crickets every other day. He’ll probably eat when you’re not around. Even then, goldies may refuse to eat from the stress. They can go a week or two without food and have no problem, however any more and a vet should be seen.

Eventually see a vet anyway and get a fecal test done to check for parasites. Most goldies are either wild-caught or farm bred and have tons of parasites. Even a small case of parasites can get far worse when stress gets involved.

*The tank, when you get a larger one, should have tons of hiding places. You should deck that tank out is what I’m getting at. Even if it’s cheap plastic foliage, so long as he can hide behind or around it he’ll feel far better about the world. It’ll also help to hold the moisture and keep the humidity up.

That’s about it. Any other questions?

12/10/11  10:24pm

Erbarner
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2246757

I need of a little help!

no i dont have any more questions you pretty much summed it up fort me. since my message i put goldie in my room with a heater to mak sure my room is concistantly warm, he is eating the crickets with and without me watching, his color is better. i had him around to many people, so i fixed that and im working on a bigger tank a friend has a 50 gallon she want to sell .. hes been active since being in the room during the night hours and hes also found the hiding spot i created for him. i purchesed a thurmometer to keep up with the temp, intil i get the ones i saw at pet smart that are the proper ones. so i think im pretty much on track. and thank you for all you help i can refer back to your message if i think i missed something.

12/17/11  01:44pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area