Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Brookfang   KrazyKelli   Brookfang   KrazyKelli   Brookfang   KrazyKelli   Brookfang   KrazyKelli   Brookfang   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Brookfang  
 Member  Message

Brookfang
View Profile

Feeding

i just got a golden gecko yesterday, but i could not find many things to feed them other than baby food and certain insects, and i also couldn’t find how often to feed them. this is my first reptile ever, please help. to sum that up: what are other things i can feed golden geckos, and how often do i need to feed them?

thanks

04/11/11  11:02am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Brookfang   In reference to Message Id: 2213867

Feeding

Goldies are primarily insectivores. Good staples are mealworms, crickets, silkworms (if the goldie will take), and small roaches.

You can also feed waxworms and butterworms, as well as fruit, as a snack (once a week). But all three can be addictive and not all healthy.

Superworms can be given once in a while for variety, as well as phoenix worms. Once in a blue moon I will catch a moth from my basement (where there aren’t any pesticides) and feed it, but you can only do this with certain types of moths as some can be toxic.

You should feed every day to every other day. For mealies and such, put them in a plastic party cup, or something they can’t climb out of, and put it in the corner of the tank. The goldie will learn to go to the cup for food. You can also throw a few crickets in for exercise, however crickets will bite over time so only put in as many as the goldie can eat at one time.

You will also need calcium and vitamin supplements. These come in a white powder and are called things such as ’repti-cal’ and stuff. You only need to really get one vitamin/calcium d3 combo bottle. Once a week, take some bugs, put them in a ziplock bag with a small bit of the powder, and shake til the bugs are lightly coated. Then drop them in for consumption. This will keep the goldie’s bone’s healthy and prevent certain illnesses. It’s a must.

Golden geckos, like all lizards, need a settle in period. In the first week or two, don’t mess with it or fool with the tank outside of, say, misting and giving food. The goldie may not eat in this time from stress, and that is normal. Keep the tank away from any windows or active areas of the home so it can overcome the stress of the move.

04/11/11  01:10pm

Brookfang
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213894

Feeding

would feeding him one cricket a day be good, or not? adding in variations like fruit once or twice a week, of course.

04/11/11  02:24pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Brookfang   In reference to Message Id: 2213917

Feeding

The goldie could pack down 3 to 6 large ones in a day to every other day and be fine off. I feed mine 5 some mealworms a day (to every other day) with a super or crix at the end of the week and he keeps in good weight.

Forgot to add, but if you feed fruit you should stick to non-acidic ones. Like Bananas or mangos, or apricot babyfood. Stay away from green apples and oranges as they have a high acidity that can upset the goldie’s stomach. If you do fruit once a week, then sprinkle the calcium powder on the fruit and it’ll be good to go for the weekly calcium supplements.

04/11/11  02:32pm

Brookfang
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213918

Feeding

but could a baby golden gecko eat 3 to 6 every two days? i just got my gecko yesterday

04/11/11  02:41pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Brookfang   In reference to Message Id: 2213920

Feeding

Whoa, you have a baby or juvi? That’s rare. They’re almost always wildcaught as adults and sold off like that.

Feed small crix, the same amount. Young geckos will eat more than you’d think they’re capable. It’s because they have a higher metabolism rate while young. If it’s a real tiny gecko and you feel small crickets are too big, feed pinhead crickets (you need to search or ask an employee for them) or small mealworms. Geckos can consume things no thicker than the width of their head (or the area between their eyes)

04/11/11  03:29pm

Brookfang
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213927

Feeding

OK, thanks. if i got him yesterday, when should i start to feed him?

04/11/11  03:39pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Brookfang   In reference to Message Id: 2213930

Feeding

Sooner is better than later. If he doesn’t take the food immediately, don’t fret.

Also, since it is a small one, feed it once every day. Only adults get the every-other-day feeding schedule option. Though since it’s small, I have high hopes that it’ll settle much faster and eat near-immediately.

The only thing you should avoid doing is ’handling’, as goldies are a display species.

04/11/11  04:20pm

Brookfang
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213940

Feeding

woah, 3 to 6 crickets a day? wont my lief(my gecko) get fat? lol

04/11/11  04:33pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Brookfang   In reference to Message Id: 2213944

Feeding

3 to 6 small crickets. =P They aren’t that big. And if it doesn’t eat all 6, you can shorten it up to something workable. It wont get fat because young geckos are burning off more calories from exploring and checking everything out.

04/11/11  07:52pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213976

Feeding

On the by, show pics! =D

04/11/11  07:52pm

Brookfang
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213977

Feeding

ok, thanks and ill post pics tomorrow since i will be taking them tonight