Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Kiknee6   KrazyKelli   Kiknee6   KrazyKelli  
 Member  Message

Kiknee6
View Profile

My golden gecko slides down glass walls!

Hello all! I’ve had my gecko for just over 2 yrs now. It’s usually active, eats fine. day temps around 80 - 85F, humidity ranges from 66% - 99% (I’ve found it difficult to maintain a consistent humidity). ever since the last time the cage was cleaned, he won’t stick to the glass very well. he’ll land on it and sort of stick but then starts to slide down. sometime falling off completely. could he just be stressed from being moved into a little box while his home was being cleaned? he still eats his crickets no problem.

10/23/10  05:54pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Kiknee6   In reference to Message Id: 2182924

There are three reasons a goldie will not walk up glass:

1. The goldie is in the process of shedding. Post-shed the goldie will stick like velcro again.

2. The tank walls are too dry - to the point that the goldie is trying to walk on dust and can’t get a firm grip on the glass, which doesn’t appear to be your problem.

3. The tank walls are too wet - to the point that the goldie is trying to walk up a waterfall. If your tank humidity is 99%, that would be why.

The humidity can be fine at 66%. 70 is optimal. 99 is too much.

10/23/10  09:13pm

Kiknee6
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2182974

thanks for your help. the humidity only jumps to 99 when i spray the tank but quickly returns to more acceptable levels. i wouldn’t usually be so concerned about this but this time he’s darker than usual and seems lethargic. I also have a corn snake and recently placed their cages next to each other. about a foot apart. is it possible he somehow smells or sees the snake and maybe he’s just scared or something? ridiculous as that sounds, i’m open to anything.

10/24/10  05:51pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Kiknee6   In reference to Message Id: 2183161

Goldies are prone to stressing out over little things. So yeah, the cornsnake will definately have to do with his lethargy and darkness. Move the snake or goldie to another room or on the other side of the room if possible.

A stressed out goldie is prone to a boost in parasites (due to the stress messing with their immune system and making them vulnerable) so be warned about that. A stressed or sick goldie wont leave the ground of the tank and will hide at all times.

10/25/10  02:53pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area