Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Geicko gecko   KrazyKelli   Geicko gecko   Ashmash   Geicko gecko   Geicko gecko   Firewolf  
 Member  Message

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Read this

my gecko is hiding from me all the time but he isn’t stressed and he actually likes to be handled every other day,you know not for a long time.anyway i need help no one answers me and i spray his tank twice a day,1 in mourning and 1 at sundown read my HELP!!! post to figure out what I’m talking about.

10/30/09  04:40pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2090084

Read this

Stop handling him for a month or two and see if he changes. You’ve only had him for, what, 2 months? That is not nearly enough time to tell what is and isn’t stressful. His tank should be in a secluded room without much traffic and away from any windows. It should also be 20 gallons or larger. Golden geckos need loads of time to settle into their new environments. Mine took a few months, and the longest I’ve heard of a goldie not stubbornly hiding (and refusing food) is a year. If you respect the lizard, treat it as a wild creature and not a ’pet’, it will more quickly come out of its fear of the new home and start to behave naturally.

And if you continue to force handling on the creature that frequently, it may go the stubborn goldie way and stop eating on you - which would then require vet trips, forcefeeding, and stuff I’m positive you don’t want to deal with.

Remember that just because the goldie isn’t permanently dark doesn’t mean that it isn’t stressed. Stress can show in other factors, such as hiding constantly, lethargy, refusing food, never leaving the ground, not trying to actively escape you, crapping on you, not being nearly as active as it should Or being over-active (such as spazzing out when you come near the tank), etc.

Also remember that golden geckos are nocturnal. They sleep during the day.

As for that other thread I noticed you made, leopard geckos are the easiest lizard to own, entirely handleable, get to be 8 to 10 inches long, and have a very nice temperament... That is, except for hatchlings, which think they can take your finger on. If you wanted a lizard solely for handling, get a leo.

10/30/09  05:05pm

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2090099

Read this

thx but my gecko is doing fine.hes just a little stressed from the previous owner and i did as much research as i could on them before i took it in. thanks for your help.and my parents wont get me a 20 gal.i was going to get a tall terrarium but my dad said no.my mom said yes but i ended up not going.but i might get another female for him to mate and there only like $10 here in Illinois for males and females.ill post pics of him in about a week because i took them with a cell phone that i have to email the pics with.

10/30/09  05:40pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2090105

Read this

You want another, but can’t even properly provide for this poor guy???

11/01/09  01:03am

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2090480

Read this

i can to hes doing fine the only x factor is he cant climb glass other than that he is doing good.

11/01/09  11:24am

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2090565

Read this

ok i put new vines in there he looks happy:)!!!

11/01/09  06:39pm

Firewolf
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2090725

Read this

A 10gal is OK for goldens, but they really would be better off in a 20 as it is a bit taller and they would have more room to climb around. Getting a second golden to put in a 20 is a BAD idea no matter the gender. For the purpose of mating is even worse!!! That will not only put a TON of stress on your female AND the new guy, there is no garantee that they will get along. and if they are stuck together in a 10 gal, they might fight and one could die!!! IF you are sure you want to get a second, put it in a seperate tank, or get a 20gal for two females. Males are very aggressive toward others, even females some times.

04/05/10  03:14pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area