Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Lovesgeckos   The cooking guy   Lovesgeckos   Geicko gecko   Lovesgeckos   Geicko gecko   KrazyKelli   Lovesgeckos  
 Member  Message

Lovesgeckos
View Profile

My golden

My G.G. is a little thin. Not like unhealthy thin, but I think he could use some extra weight. What should I feed him to pack a little bit of weight?

10/19/09  11:15pm

The cooking guy
View Profile

Message To: Lovesgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2086199

My golden

waxworms are a good idea

10/20/09  12:44am

Lovesgeckos
View Profile

Message To: The cooking guy   In reference to Message Id: 2086223

My golden

thanks

10/20/09  08:25am

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Lovesgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2086199

My golden

im using mealworms or fat crickets i got from a bait shop anyway my gg is loving mealworms:)

10/26/09  03:25pm

Lovesgeckos
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2088786

My golden

Really? That’s weird because my gg can’t stand meal worms. He also won’t eat roaches for anything either. He ate one roach and would not eat anymore. He’s a picky little guy ;)

10/27/09  10:57am

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Lovesgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2089010

My golden

mines picky about hunting he wont feed by himself ussually so i have to hand feed him every once in awhile mostly when he looks skinny im posting pics soon but i took them w a cell phone so idk about the quality anyway hell take them right out of my hand

10/29/09  07:53pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lovesgeckos   In reference to Message Id: 2089010

My golden

all geckos will sometimes prefer one food over another. Some love hunting active prey. I taught Sade the goldie to eat from a dish. He use to refuse mealies until I fed him superworms. When the supers made him obese, I downgraded to the mealie and he eventually went after them over time.

If you feed waxworms, only give one or two a week. They can be highly addictive and too many over too long a period will give your gecko FattyLiverDisease. You can optionally feed superworms, but only one or two at a time (since they’re huge) every other day, and only do this until you feel that your gecko is under a manageable weight, then switch off. Supers can also be addictive.

Remember that geckos can become obese. What you may think is thin could be perfectly acceptable. Here’s an old thread on obese goldies that I made ages ago. Link

10/29/09  11:50pm

Lovesgeckos
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2089827

My golden

Mine will take crickets from hand also (but with mine it’s safer to use tweezers... he gets excited. lol) I think he didn’t like the roaches as much because they where to fast for him, but then again he did eat one and never ate them again. Those things where a pain to get back out of the cage... so I have vowed to never use roaches with him again. lol

10/30/09  12:03pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area