Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Schyler   KrazyKelli   Schyler   KrazyKelli   Schyler   Gravel1   Kaitymay   KrazyKelli   Kaitymay   Schyler   KrazyKelli   Kaitymay  
 Member  Message

Schyler
View Profile

Coloration?

So my Golden Gecko is barely ever Golden, he is usually more of a greenish brown color. He is golden once in a while, but not for very long.
He eats regularly and everything, he explores his cage, and the only time I’m near it is to mist it and feed him.

I’ve read that females are usually more of an olive green color most of the time, is it possible that he is just a she?

I can give you a tank description, and pics of it if you need them.
And I can try to get a pic of him on the glass, so that someone can hopefully sex him/her for me.

any info or advice is appreciated highly.
Thanks

08/26/09  06:30pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Schyler   In reference to Message Id: 2063884

Coloration?

I’d like to see a picture and know info about your tank size/set up before I make any assumptions.

Also, how long have you had it?

Goldies go dark for three reasons. The most common is that they’re stressed over something. Second is that they’re blending in with the scenery and using it as camouflage. And the third is that your temps are too low. While there is a slight distinction in males to females via color, it’s actually better to make a visual assessment of the body. Females, of course, don’t have a hemipenis nor a V of dots on their crotch. Females are also noticeably stockier and fatter.

Link

Female on top, male on bottom. Mind you, the female in that picture is also probably gravid. But it shows you the differences, especially in the neck.

08/26/09  09:02pm

Schyler
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2063946

Coloration?

Tank size, is about two feel tall, 18 inches long, and 12 inches wide. This is only approximate, but it’s very close. There is a jungle vine going through the enclosure, plastic foilage on the ground, a small half-log hide, and three pothos plants suction cupped to the left wall. The humidity stays about 55% constant, and the temp is about 90 near the top, and 80-85 on ground. I’ll be getting three more plants for the other wall, probably tomorrow. I have had him for about four months or so.

About every couple days he will go golden, but then the next day, or even later that day, he goes dark again.
I have noticed, however, that he is only dark when he’s on the ground, hiding in the foilage. When he’s on the top/side of the tank he is almost always golden.

I have never seen his crotch, but going by the pic. He definately looks like a male. His body is more slender and his neck is longer.

I attempted to take some pics, but their with my phone, so their probably terrible. And I’m not entirely sure how to upload them, so bare with me.

Their pretty bad pics, but I tried.

Please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong.
Advice and criticism is always welcome.

08/26/09  11:20pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Schyler   In reference to Message Id: 2064008

Coloration?

You should up the humidity to somewhere between 70 and 80%. Tank size is fine.

90 is breaching a little hot, and can be lowered by two or so degrees easily if you have the lamp a little higher off the tank. I can’t tell in the picture, but it looks like the lamp is directly on the lid. This is bad, as the goldie can be burned if right next to the bulb. If this is just an illusion of perspective and the lamp is nowhere near the tank lid, then it’s all good.

The other thing I noticed is that the tank is too open. You need to cover a good three quarters of the tank with things to climb and hide around. So yes, more plants or branches is a good thing. He may be more dark because he simply doesn’t have all that much to hide behind. If you can invest in a tall fake branch or stone ornament, it’s worth your time. Petsmart has recently had a rash of such things on sale.

Here’s a picture of a 17" fake log in my goldie’s tank to give you an idea of what I mean:

Picture was taken years ago, on the by. I don’t have any recent ones on me. I recently put live pothos all over the place in there, kept alive with cups of water. That and a reptile hammock, which never stays up. Sade sure loves that branch accessory, though.

08/26/09  11:43pm

Schyler
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2064010

Coloration?

Yes, it is directly on top of the enclosure. The pet store I bought him from had it like this, so I assumed it was okay. It’s a clamp lamp, so I can clamp it to the lid and keep it about three or four inches above the lid.

I’ll cover part of the lid with saran wrap, and mist more frequently. I was thought to believe that they needed lower humidity, or they could get a respiratory infection.

I’m also planning on covering the back wall with flat cork bark background, and I am planting live pothos also in the enclosure. I have a piece of driftwood in my tree frog enclosure that I could put in there, also, as I’m redoing their tank soon. I’m going to buy more of the foilage thats covering the ground also, and wrap it around his vine.

I get paid Friday, so I’ll be sure to pick up lots more plants and such then. And I’ll get some driftwood and what not also. I’ll put up pics after the weekend to show you the new enclosure.

Thanks so much for the info. It’s highly appreciated.

08/27/09  12:31am

Gravel1
View Profile

Message To: Schyler   In reference to Message Id: 2064018

Coloration?

Also he might be a sleep and my golden gecko almost always turns brown when he sleeps so he feels safe and secure

08/27/09  08:28am

Kaitymay
View Profile

Message To: Gravel1   In reference to Message Id: 2064075

Coloration?

KrazyKelli- it looks like you had two 20g tanks and knocked out the bottom of one and stacked them?? (the picture of your tank)

08/30/09  11:46am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Kaitymay   In reference to Message Id: 2065417

Coloration?

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I also drilled in a ton of screws to keep the things together.

When the bottom was popped out, it did not come out cleanly. Due to that alone, I think it’s probably a fair bit easier to simply buy a bigger tank.

08/30/09  12:09pm

Kaitymay
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2065422

Coloration?

well good handy work lol. it looks nice though.

08/30/09  07:14pm

Schyler
View Profile

Message To: Kaitymay   In reference to Message Id: 2065566

Coloration?

How did you take the bottom out of the top tank?

09/01/09  08:20am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Schyler   In reference to Message Id: 2066177

Coloration?

I first removed the bottom frame (the black piece), then I took a glass cutter and ran it along the edges of the bottom glass panel. Pop, crash, Kerploosh, and it was out in a million little glass pieces. With some safe aquarium glue, I put the bottom frame back on. The tank was aired outside for a day to ensure no excess fumes.

There is an inner lip on the frames, where I fixed the screws. Every year I need to replace the screws and bolts due to the high humidity in the tank. And I need to take apart the tank to clean it.

09/01/09  10:48am

Kaitymay
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2066219

Coloration?

ohh.....wow... great handy work (again) sounds fun lol

09/03/09  12:33am

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area