Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Spankie   KrazyKelli   Spankie   Gravel1  
 Member  Message

Spankie
View Profile

Growling?

when i went to fix something in my geckos enclosure i thought i heard like a chirp or something. my gecko dosnt really like it when i put my hand in hes cage but i never heard him make a sound like that. does anyone know if they growl or was i hearing things?

07/15/09  12:18am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Spankie   In reference to Message Id: 2039517

Growling?

Goldies make a solid peep sound, usually. Like a baby bird. They do this for two reasons. One, they are content (this obviously wouldn’t be it, since you said he doesn’t like you going in there.) The other coincides with breeding. Goldies breed in the later summer, early fall. The males will peep to call out to females. It could have been coincidence that the goldie peeped while you were reaching in.

I have heard all sorts of noises from cousin species (such as the marbled and tokay). An angry sound does indeed sound like a growl. rrrrrr.... Like if you run your finger slowly down a zipper. Some will even scream - which is much more urgent and upset than a peep. Sadly, I have not heard any of these additional sounds from my goldie, so I can’t conclusively say that golden geckos make the same sounds.

07/15/09  11:14am

Spankie
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2039659

Growling?

oh ok thanks

07/15/09  12:56pm

Gravel1
View Profile

Message To: Spankie   In reference to Message Id: 2039726

Growling?

Maybe you heard a cricket