Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Shadowcat0789   Shadowcat0789   KrazyKelli   Shadowcat0789   Shadowcat0789   KrazyKelli   Shadowcat0789  
 Member  Message

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Rescue goldie

Alright, cutting to the chase here i’ve come into a golden gecko (because people are idiots and don’t know how to care for animals) but I don’t really think I’m going to keep him so I need to find a new home. I actually (semi) lucked out and a friend of a friend is interested in maybe taking him off my hands, the thing is, she’s never had a gecko before. She says she’s willing to learn which is always good but I’m still not 100% sure about if she could handle him. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but these guys aren’t necessarily the easiest geckos to keep and surely shouldn’t be for a beginner, correct? I’m mostly just looking for feedback and advice as to how to go about training her and gauging her ability to care for this goldie. I’ve never kept them before but just did a ton of research and feel like i have a pretty good idea of how to take care of them if *I* were doing it.

At any rate, I’ve currently got him in a 10 gallon tank with eco earth as bedding and a shallow-ish dish big enough for him to soak in (which is oodles better than the medium kritter keeper he was being kept in before) I’ve got a heat lamp for him than isn’t hooked up yet because i don’t have an official space yet, as there’s another 10 gal trying to be set up for fish which i guess i’m gonna break down tomorrow so he can have a more (semi) permanent spot. Other than that I don’t have any hides for him or anything like that, I didn’t even know what he was when i brought him home this evening (once again, people are idiots, the guy who threw this gecko at us didn’t even know what it was, in his words "it’s a gecko, the kind that sticks to the glass") so i didn’t know what types of things i should go about getting for him. What more do i need for him, both so he’ll be happy until i re-home him, and to make it easier on the girl who may or may not be getting him?

Also, any tips are welcome about anything, please avoid the "You’re an irresponsible person for taking this animal without knowing what it is" and "how dare you try to pawn off this special animal on someone who has no idea what they’re doing" or the "you took responsibility for him you now you need to keep him" guilt trips because they’re just annoying and not helpful, I know i did the right thing as the pet store i work at, even though it’s a good pet store, still wouldn’t know how to take care of him (as we didn’t know what he was, did i mention I hate the people who brought him in?) plus odds are some moron would end up buying him and killing him. At any rate, thanks for any and everyone’s help, I appreciate your time and efforts.

-Tiffani

07/12/09  12:54am

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Message To: Shadowcat0789   In reference to Message Id: 2037935

Rescue goldie

07/12/09  12:56am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Shadowcat0789   In reference to Message Id: 2037937

Rescue goldie

Now that you have the gecko and are at least trying to do research, I can’t properly scold you. So don’t worry, it wouldn’t make practical sense to do so.

20 gallon tank minimum, preferably 30 gallon. These guys can grow to be 10+ inches and would not be comfortable in a small tank. Put the tank in a secluded room without much traffic.

Moist substrate, you already have that covered. Check out the caresheets on this website for proper temps and humidity (moderate temps, high humidity). Have calcium/vitamins on the food once a week, feed every other day. Cover the tank full of things. You can get large limb-like and tree-like objects for affordable prices at Petsmart. I got this large trunkesk fake limb that’s 17 inches tall from there for only 20 bucks. They occationally have sales. You can also get 6 ft of fake vines from hobby stores for extremely affordable prices. If you’re running low on cash, another option is to take sticks from the backyard, (avoid cedar and pine), debark them, and boil them for sanitary purposes. And lastly, don’t forget the drinking water.

This is a species of gecko that should not be handled. They are meant for display. Excessive handling can stress them out, their skin can rip, and if the goldie chooses to run away you will never get him back.

Goldies are a moderate-difficult species. If you know more about geckos, then keep this one. Unless your friend is willing to also put in the research and had heaps of cash to dole out on keeping the gecko happy, it wont be a good match. They usually come with parasites, so yours will need a vet check. They are known for being stubborn to the point of starving to death over not being happy. If the tank is out of traffic areas, away from windows, there are tons of things to hide around, and you don’t mess with it all that often, the goldie will settle in. Once comfortable (this may take up to two months), the goldie will come out during dark hours and roam in the open areas of the tank.

07/12/09  01:32pm

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2038074

Rescue goldie

Just thought I’d throw an update out there. I went out and spent about 30-35 bucks on some vines, a large plant with broad leaves, a plant to stick on the side of the tank and a tree bark hide for the goldie which I’m pretty sure at this point I’m going to end up keeping, and have named him Rahja (like the tiger on Aladdin :-p) For now I have no choice but to keep him in the ten as I don’t have room for a bigger tank, at least, no room that he’ll stay undisturbed, so he’s staying in the ten until I move some things around with my fish tanks, then He’ll be in a 20 high above my crested gecko. He finally ate all of his crickets and his cage looks good, I’m going to be picking up a thermometer and a hygrometer today at work so I can get those readings.

What are your thoughts of taking saran wrap and wrapping up half of the screen top to help hold in humidity, and putting large amounts of Sphagum moss in the cage for humidity as well? He seems to be doing tolerably well so far but I know it’s difficult to gauge. Part of me wants to think he’s not doing as well as I think because he’s very calm and docile, doesn’t care if I get into his cage, if I put my hand by him then he’ll crawl onto me and lick me, scurrying about a little but isn’t nearly as fast as everything makes them out to be.

I don’t know when I’ll be able to get him to the vet but when I do what do I need to ask for/about?

New pics of him and his enclosure will come soon, once things settle down a little and I have time for pictures.

07/16/09  11:49am

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Message To: Shadowcat0789   In reference to Message Id: 2040304

Rescue goldie

Also, I’ve read that feeding them fruit mush can be beneficial, I picked up some "just add water instant reptile fruit meal" which is just dehydrated fruits and some bee pollen, can I try feeding him some of that or is it not worth wasting the food trying?

07/16/09  02:12pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Shadowcat0789   In reference to Message Id: 2040420

Rescue goldie

Isn’t that something you give to your crestie?

You can give fruit to a goldie, and half the time they will eat it, but it’s to be a once a week treat only. They can become addicted and refuse to eat anything else. The same thing can happen with fatty worms such as waxworms.

Please move up the tank size as soon as possible. The fact that the goldie isn’t actively trying to avoid your hand means that it’s either stressed from the lack of hiding places or is ill with something.

07/16/09  03:53pm

Shadowcat0789
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2040477

Rescue goldie

I don’t currently give it to anything, it just seemed like a fun treat and worst case i can feed it to my rats.

What’re your thoughts on the saran wrap and the moss?

07/16/09  09:52pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area