Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Kiknee6   Kevin rathwell   Kiknee6  
 Member  Message

Kiknee6
View Profile

My gecko isn’t eating. help please?

Hi there. I recently brought home a golden gecko from a pet store and he shows no interest in crickets or the strawberry baby food which was suggested by the pet store person when i called with my concerns. He lives in a 10 gal aquarium which i read was acceptable after putting a screen top on it. Humidity is 99%, temperature is 78 - 80 degrees F. I covered three sides of the tank using a cut up black garbage bag. i use an under the tank heat pad. i used coconut husk substrain. he has a little hollow rock to hide in, a tree branch to climb on and a really leafy fake vine thing to climb on too. that’s all the info i can think of to paint a picture for you. could he just be stressed because of the change of environment? at the pet store, he shared a 10 gal tank with another goldy. could me miss his buddy’s company? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

04/01/09  11:53pm

Kevin rathwell
View Profile

Message To: Kiknee6   In reference to Message Id: 1978805

he may not eat a thing for a week or so , your temps should be a tad higher , your humidity should only be 60-70 , to much can cause respitory problems, and 20 gallon tall is the min size tank i would use for a singal golden. try some meal worms, but make sure you gutload them with calcium,as they have little nutritonal value on there own, gl

04/02/09  10:13am

Kiknee6
View Profile

Message To: Kevin rathwell   In reference to Message Id: 1978919

thank you. I intend to upgrade his tank as soon as i can. I know i shouldn’t spoil him with fruit but i spoon fed him some strawberries which he seemed to enjoy. i just wanted to make sure he got some sort of nutrients. I make sure to keep the humidity down around 70 now. until you told me about the respiratory risks, I was led to believe the higher the better. i appreciate the info. this is my first reptile and i want to learn everything i can in order to provide him with the best possible care. any tips or advice or experiences anyone would like to share would be helpful and appreciated greatly.

thanks

04/03/09  10:21pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area