Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Golden geckos   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Kevin rathwell   Kevin rathwell   Firewolf  
 Member  Message

Golden geckos
View Profile

Help thing on belly

My gecko has had thing scrape on her belly for a while. I need to know what it is. Her substrate is bark and she eats supers and cricks. Her temps are70-80. She has a twentey gallon cage. I give enough water. I mist her every day. P.S iI know why she wasnt eating. She keeps layin eggs. Should eggs get misted? What temp should it be for them? What substrate should i use? Please help im in deep reply immediatly.

03/29/09  05:55pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Golden geckos   In reference to Message Id: 1976714

Help thing on belly

Once again, please try to keep things to one thread. It’s silly making all these threads when I’m probably going to be the only one to help you at the moment.

20 gallon is fine, temps still need to go up to 86 or the gecko wont be able to digest food properly. The gecko should eat regardless of egg-laying. In fact, a gecko should be fed more than usual if they are producing eggs. Unless this gecko is new, her eggs are going to all be sterile, and even then she may be laying sterile eggs regardless. You know, like chickens. There will be nothing inside of them. So I’d take & break them, then clean off the cement she laid the eggs with. If you don’t and the eggs are sterile, they will stink up the tank. If she’s with a male, I’d get him his own 20 gallon tank and tape a plastic cup with holes over where the eggs are (if possible). Goldies have a tendency to be very territorial around eggs and may crush them on their own by accident; They’ll eat their young; And the eggs can’t safely be removed without breaking them yourself.

Keep in mind that she needs to eat if she’s making eggs. She’s putting all of her nutritional needs into making them and leaving nothing for herself at the moment. Worse comes to worse, it’s time to see a vet. When she’s eating again, you have to put calcium with d3 on the food (or feed it to the bugs) twice a week and lizard vitamins once a week.

03/29/09  06:36pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1976745

Help thing on belly

Oh, and the spot on her belly is either an abcess or a cricket bite. I’d see the vet for that as well to make sure. The vet will give you human eye-solution to put on it (one drop every day) until it heals over. Probably Gentocin.

03/29/09  06:39pm

Kevin rathwell
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1976748

Help thing on belly

you should also loos that bark stuff, i personnaly use the shredded coconut fiber, it comes in bricks you soak in water, and i find ya get alot for your $,

03/31/09  08:49am

Kevin rathwell
View Profile

Message To: Kevin rathwell   In reference to Message Id: 1977740

Help thing on belly

heres my setup,

03/31/09  09:06am

Firewolf
View Profile

Message To: Kevin rathwell   In reference to Message Id: 1977751

Help thing on belly

I had a similar problem earlier this year, but on the tail. It looked like a chunk had been taken out of his tail. I took him to the vet, who gave me some cream (like neosporin) to put on it twice a day for a week, and some oral drops. It then healed pretty fast at that point.

09/20/09  05:19pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area