Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Justme727   Justme727   KrazyKelli   Justme727  
 Member  Message

Justme727
View Profile

Exciting news

i just rescued a golden gecko from my local shelter. he was housed in a 5 gallon aquarium with the largest brown anole i hav ever seen. i am surprised one didnt eat the other. the substrate was artificial moss and there was one stick in the center. it was a pretty pathetic sight. so his new home is a 30 gallon and the anole is now in a seperate tank. lots of plants and places to hide. he has taken some time to adjust. i didnt see him for the first few days. then he slowly began coming out at night. he ate a couple mealworms and wax worms a few days in. and took a bit of crushed strawberry. then a few crickets yesterday. so yay! he is eating. the tip of his tail is gone. i was worried it was infected at first, but luckily it wasnt. in the week he has been with me i have actually noticed it growing. so yay again! he had a successful shed. i live in colorado so humidity is a pain to keep up. but it seems to be going alright. i have experimented with a few techniques and i think i am close to keeping it regular. he is really skittish and turns brown whenever he sees me. but i have been able to sneak a few peaks of him basking at night. he is a beautiful bright golden color with some amazing markings. i think he is slowly getting used to me. he doesnt dart away as much when i come near the tank. yesterday i spotted him watching me as a was reading a book. so i just thought i would share my happiness with you all. i was worried that i was taking on too much but i just couldnt leave him to die in that tiny cage. it all seems to be working out.

02/20/09  07:30pm

Justme727
View Profile

Message To: Justme727   In reference to Message Id: 1956418

Exciting news

oh and if you were maybe wondering. the anole is doing great. he was freaked for a few days. the move was a little traumatizing. but now he is just as happy as pie. and i think pie is a very happy thing.

02/20/09  07:52pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Justme727   In reference to Message Id: 1956418

Exciting news

Hey! You’re that guy I helped over on the general gecko forum =D Congrads on finally adopting those suckers. And good job with deciding on the larger tank.

My goldie took a few months to completely get over the fact that I was around. It didn’t help that I had to forcefeed him for the first two, either. But now he comes out every night and hops around in his tank, making little peep noises to the marbled gecko a few feet away.

I’d keep down on the waxworms. While the gecko has a good chance of eating them, they can be highly addictive and will lead to obesity. Only feed, at most, two a week. And honestly that’s only if your goldie is a little on the thin side. Fruit can also be addictive, but more over you should watch the acidity levels on fruit. Stuff like mangos, apricots, and bananas are fine, but stuff like sour apples, oranges, and pineapples can hurt their digestive system over time.

Good staples are mealworms, crix, roaches, and silkworms. They react well to fast-moving prey.

02/20/09  10:45pm

Justme727
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1956512

Exciting news

yeah thats me. he is a bit thin which is why i went with the wax worms. he doesnt seem too interested in mealworms but does like crickets.

02/23/09  01:45pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area