Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   Steve.eh   Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   Steve.eh   Steve.eh   KrazyKelli   Firewolf   Jakemyster44  
 Member  Message

Steve.eh
View Profile

My Rescued G.G

This is my new baby, did lots of reading, was told this was a female...im not so sure
poor thing was being kept in a 10gal no humidity, lost its tail once
I’ve had him/her for a little while now, its gotten a lot more comfortable in the setup i have it in now

this is the best pic I could get to try to get some help determining sex

Any input would be great

01/29/09  04:54pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942378

My Rescued G.G

Well, I see pores, so it’s probably male. Males goldies are far more seen in the pet trade than females as males tend to have the more brilliant golden coloration and females are more olive brown. Females are also 4 to 8 times more expensive than males, so if a male was 10 dollars, a female would be up to 80.

What sort of tank do you have set up so far? temps, humidity, substrate, etc.

Is his side just wrinkled in the picture or is that a wound? I can’t tell.

Your first order of business is to take your goldie to the vet for the preliminary checkup and fecal test. Most golden geckos are ripped from the wild or farmbred and thus have Loads of parasites.

01/29/09  06:49pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942453

My Rescued G.G

I’d like to see a few more pictures of the gecko. That belly worries me in comparison to the tail.

01/29/09  06:55pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942457

My Rescued G.G

this is a better pic of the belly,
yeah it seems like old tear, poor guy’s had a hard go
I’ve had him for almost 6 months now
tank now is a 25gal tall, humidity ranges from 55-65% -digital sensor
temp ranges from 78 to 90- 90 only at the warm end when the room temp is up
anyhow he seems to be doing well now, I never handle him, don’t want to stress him out

01/29/09  07:25pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942483

My Rescued G.G

Well, either he’s obese in that picture, has a major internal infection from that cut (The first pic looked like it was oozing, which is why I was worried), or he’s an eggbound female - which probably would have resulted in death by now. I don’t see eggs outlines, so I’m going to dismiss the third.

If I were you, I’d really see that vet.

I’d also amp the humidity a little.

01/29/09  07:48pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942515

My Rescued G.G

i think its just the angle he was hanging when i took that pic, i’ll post more pics later

01/29/09  07:57pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942525

My Rescued G.G

Another pic.. my camera doesn’t seem to want to focus very well

01/29/09  10:35pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942704

My Rescued G.G

Yeah, like I said in my last post. He either looks massively obese or has an infection in his stomach. I made a thread about obese goldies sometime a while back. If you dig deep enough on this forum you should be able to find it. Or it could indeed be a gravid female, which I’m still not ruling out.

Link this is a breeding pair of golden geckos. You can easily tell the male from female, the male is a proper weight, the female is gravid.

01/29/09  10:53pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942721

My Rescued G.G

Here’s a picture of what an egg would appear like if you put the goldie up to light from behind.

Link

01/29/09  10:55pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942722

My Rescued G.G

Third post in a row. Yeah, sorry, your goldie is indeed female. It’s okay, I can have mistakes from time to time. You see them so rarely and tell everyone they have proven males constantly that when you come across a female it’s a surprise.

Still, wound on side, bad. Gecko on ground of tank is sometimes bad, since they’re arboreal, but the gecko may be about to shed as well. Very fat or gravid. =D It’s been an eventful day, time to medicate my marbled.

01/29/09  10:59pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942726

My Rescued G.G

how often would a female lay eggs, fertilized or not?
i back lit her and tried taking some pic’s camera doesn’t deal with back lite so well so no dice there, but i don’t see anything that seems like and egg, nothing as obvious as the pic you posted. maybe a little darker spot on one side, so maybe, she has just kind on chunked out reciently

she was on the ground because she was hunting crickets :P

01/30/09  09:22am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942907

My Rescued G.G

Ah, word. Usually the dark spot is either food in her or her organs.

Goldies usually lay the typical 1 to 2 eggs at a time, for one to three times - every three weeks. She’ll slap the egg on a stick or the wall of the tank and cement it on good and tight, so it’ll be a virtual pain to remove. If she mysteriously gets thin out of nowhere and you don’t see any eggs, look in the roofs of hiding places as well.

If she lays the first batch of eggs, it’d be safe to keep her weight up by feeding her two to three waxworms a week on top of what you’re currently feeding her. Since producing eggs can suck the weight off of a lizard quickly.

And this is all assuming that the wound on her is not causing the poofing. Some geckos get infected abscesses or cuts (I had to deal with an abscess recently, posted a thread about it below, and it was not fun) and if untreated it can get septic and kill the reptile. So if you see oozing from that wound on her belly, seriously, get it looked at. I can’t stress enough my worry about those first two pics and seeing that cut going down to the indented bump on her belly. It bugs me.

01/30/09  11:26am

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1942945

My Rescued G.G

well thankfully there is no oozing, never has been, that spots looked the same since i got her

had to photoshop that a bit to brighten it up

01/30/09  12:53pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1942999

My Rescued G.G

Hahaha, I can’t see any eggs. But she does look considerably chunky in that picture.

01/30/09  01:43pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1943024

My Rescued G.G

will she lay eggs even if there is no male present? I cant seem to find any info on that here’s another couple pics

02/01/09  12:02pm

Steve.eh
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1944309

My Rescued G.G

this is a bigger version of the belly pic
Link

02/01/09  12:14pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Steve.eh   In reference to Message Id: 1944320

My Rescued G.G

She can lay sterile eggs. Geckos have this great ability to hold male sperm for months at a time until the conditions are right as well, as well as laying with other females at a set period of the year to enhance the outcome of offspring, even if sometimes over half of the eggs have nothing in them. I don’t know the gravid period, but once they start to look very obese out of nowhere, the eggs usually come within the month, usually within two weeks. Expect one or two. Though I can’t tell with the pics if she has eggs or not. You’ll know the eggs when you see them. They’ll be large white globs cemented on something.

There is a risk of eggbinding, which means the eggs get stuck in her. If it’s been a long time or her health starts to deteriorate, see a vet to rule it out. Until then, keep the tank nice, moist, and warm. Some lizard owners input a nesting box, but seeing as she’ll attach the eggs to something I don’t think it’ll matter diddly.

02/01/09  12:50pm

Firewolf
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1944357

My Rescued G.G

Obese... yes...
Female... NO....
Look at the first pic... see the V-shaped pores anterior to the anal opening? Male...
Females don’t have those V-shaped genital pores...
See the two bulges posterior to the anal opening? Male...
Females have the two bulges, but more laterally and more anterior.

02/07/09  11:48pm

Jakemyster44
View Profile

Message To: Firewolf   In reference to Message Id: 1948962

My Rescued G.G

I have never kept golden geckos. But, comparing this one to pics online, I am going to have to agree with Kellie on this one, I say female. If you notice, males have hempinal bulges almost sticking out the side of their tail...

03/03/09  07:22pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area