Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Leah123   KrazyKelli   Leah123   Kevin rathwell   K9rn   Geicko gecko   Geicko gecko   Ashmash   Geicko gecko   Firewolf  
 Member  Message

Leah123
View Profile

Should i get one?

Well i have experience with a lot of different animals, in line of lizards i have 4 leopard geckos right now, and ive had anoles and i watched a friends house gecko for a while.

I was just wondering how difficult Golden geckos are to care for. With all my other animals i dont really have time for an animal that needs major attention.

My cousin, who is living with me now, is really into all my pets and helps with them a lot. Her favorites are my leopard geckos and i would like to get her a gecko of some sort so she can be fully responsible. She is attempting to take over this years breeding season with all of the animals and if she can do that i promised to buy her a new gecko.

Are these a good beginer gecko? Please let me know asap.

xoLeah

12/29/08  03:48pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 1922431

Should i get one?

Golden geckos are a hard species of gecko. They are tough and expensive to care for, though cheap to buy. You cannot handle them, their skin is very delicate, they stress easily, they are stubborn (to the point of starving to death in some cases if they aren’t satisfied), and if you get bitten by one expect blood. There’s also the fact that they usually come with parasites.

Seriously, anole and house gecko aside (which don’t live all that long), jumping from a leopard gecko to a golden gecko is like jumping from a pet hamster to an angry tazzydevil.

Instead, might I recommend that you look into more leos, an African Fat-tailed gecko, a crested gecko, or a gargoyle gecko. All are much easier to care for and, aside from the gargie (Which I don’t know much about), all can be handled to some extent.

12/29/08  09:51pm

Leah123
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1922697

Should i get one?

Yeah i was reading a ton of posts and i read about all the goldies being stressed. If i had one i wouldnt want it handled, but i want to get my cousin something she can hold.

LOL good comparison. Im used to having snapping turtles that are quite mean too, but im pretty sure my cousin isnt ready for a goldie.

Once i have more time i still might look into getting one for myself. Im sure ill be back to this fourum before too long lol.

thanks a ton

xoLeah

12/30/08  08:30am

Kevin rathwell
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 1922947

Should i get one?

have 2 goldens a male and a female - fuzzy and molson, they get along great and i cant get them to bite me , ive tried lol . you do need a tall tank with high humidity around 70 % and trying to keep temps up in a tall tank can be a challenge, iuse undertank heating as well , dont need uv but i have it anyway,

01/13/09  02:03pm

K9rn
View Profile

Message To: Kevin rathwell   In reference to Message Id: 1931584

Should i get one?

I’ve had a goldie for a few years now and he is not friendly. I can’t handle him at all. Very high maintenance. I realize this is just echoing what everyone else is saying but I don’t recommend one if you don’t have a lot of time for up keep and want something you can take out and hold. There are exceptions to every rule but I guess that depends on how lucky you feel.

03/22/09  08:07pm

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 1922947

Should i get one?

hey all that is bull about stress though too much handaling can rip their skin and i started out with a gg not tht hard to care fo they are alot of responibility if u like buying special gut loaded food

10/29/09  08:19pm

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Leah123   In reference to Message Id: 1922431

Should i get one?

where i live(southern Illinois)there very cheap. i buy food for just a dollar for a dozen cricks.there Worth 10 dollars here and if you want to order from this special reptile store he res the linkhttp://thetyedyediguana.com/

10/30/09  01:03pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2090017

Should i get one?

Quote:

hey all that is bull about stress

No, actually it’s not. They do stress quite easily, and you, giecko gecko, can learn a lot from Kelli and others who have CLEARLY had golden geckos MUCH longer than you have. You shouldn’t be giving advice when you clearly haven’t done enough research to even know that these geckos are VERY easily stressed.

11/02/09  09:04pm

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2091266

Should i get one?

i know they stress but ppl take it to the extreme,giving them a bad rep and all.

11/03/09  04:56pm

Firewolf
View Profile

Message To: Geicko gecko   In reference to Message Id: 2091567

Should i get one?

I think most of us that have been here a while know how easily they stress... HOWEVER, just like people, each individual golden has it’s own levels of tollerance to this stress. My golden freaks out when I try to hold him, but quickly calms down once I have ahold of him. I know people whose goldens run right into their hand and up their arm, no problem, and I know people who get bit trying to pick theirs up. Most of us express that extreme in the hopes that no one assumes they can be handled easily all the time. No offense to you GG who can obviosly hold your much easier than most can, just trying to make it clear to all.

04/05/10  03:25pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area