Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Firewolf   KrazyKelli   Firewolf   SammyQ*14  
 Member  Message

Firewolf
View Profile

Help identify...

Hey all, I was just given a golden by one of my students... I’ve had one for 2 years now, and I have not seen anything like what he brought me... It has recently lost part of its tail, but what I don’t know about is the large hole halfway between vent and new growth... it looks like rotting meat, and I noticed there was a small (1/16th inch) white worm crawling on its tail... I’m looking for a new vet to take it to, but in the meantime, has anyone seen or have any idea what might have caused it? Again, I have only had it for two days. I don’t know how it had been kept before, but I now have it in a 20gal, under tank heat, auto-mist, red heat basking... nice, warm and humid. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

09/12/08  11:59pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Firewolf   In reference to Message Id: 1858265

Help identify...

Anything could have happened.. The most likely is that the goldie was chewed on seriously by a cricket, or - considering your student - got into a fight with another lizard it could have been kept with. Then there’s the possibility or an abscess rupturing or the like. In all honesty, though, the vet will probably have to remove the tail before the wound if there’s rot. It was probably left alone and infected. The white worm is very likely a maggot.

While you wait, you could catch the goldie and clean out the wound with some water and a cotton swab or q-tip. If you have any antibiotics without painkillers (painkillers will hurt the lizard), it can also be applied in a small dab.

You probably already know this, but make sure the new lizard is a room away from your other ones and completely quarantined.

09/13/08  12:20am

Firewolf
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1858269

Help identify...

Found out from the vet, he probably caught it on a sharp edge. took a week of antibiotics and neosporine, but looks good as new!

02/07/09  11:51pm

SammyQ*14
View Profile

Message To: Firewolf   In reference to Message Id: 1948963

Help identify...

how do you post pics on here? i’ve been trying and can’t

02/24/09  02:14am

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area