Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Golden Forum

Skullz   Gretchenellie   Skullz   Gretchenellie   Skullz   Audio   Skullz   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Skullz   KrazyKelli   Skullz   Geicko gecko  
 Member  Message

Skullz
View Profile

Can I ?

I have a crestd gecko and I’m getting two goldens (1 male and 1 female) but i dont want to breed. could I put my female in with my female crested? should I just leave them? should I just get another tank and put 1 of the goldies in there?
HELP i need answers

04/28/08  06:12pm

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1719312

Can I ?

they each need their own tanks, unless your intent is to breed them..

get the male golden and the female golden their own tanks...

are they adult geckos?

i, personally, dont condone mixing due to potential health problems for all animals involved...

04/29/08  11:04pm

Skullz
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1720763

Can I ?

ok thanx,
they are adults but they have bred before. do you think they would keep breeding?

04/30/08  07:36pm

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1721456

Can I ?

yes, they will

its not good for the females health to keep laying eggs.. that is why it is best to keep them separate until you breed them...

05/01/08  10:14am

Skullz
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1722034

Can I ?

the lady that had them before me has had them together since shes got them, and they are a few years old i think.
and they look pretty heathly to me but i will post a pic (well two since the females always in the rock) as soon as i get 1

05/01/08  07:00pm

Audio
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1722559

Can I ?

the only way you could keep the crested and the golden together is if they need the exact same husbandry, goldens are also a little aggressive at times...

i don’t really remember golden’s husbandry needs, i haven’t had one in years

05/06/08  09:35pm

Skullz
View Profile

Message To: Audio   In reference to Message Id: 1727582

Can I ?

well they werent well cared for at their last home so its really a lot better.
my cresteds really gentle and friendly but my goldens are pretty skiddish but the males getting better,
i want to put them together bc my cresteds gaining a lil weight and i want her to get a lil more exersise. I just dont want anything to happen.
Do you think they’d be fine if i only put them together for a little while and work the time up, but watch them and see how they are taking it?

05/07/08  05:22pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1728371

Can I ?

If you put them together, the goldie would undoubtedly kill the crested, the crestie would die from the habitat, or they would stress to death. Putting them together is a definite NO and should Never be attempted.

A goldie needs higher temps that could kill a crested. A goldie also needs much higher humidity than a crested.

Goldies are an extremely territorial species and there have been cases where they’ll compete and kill their own kind in captivity, even if they’re female. The only time you see them together is when they’re very sick and cramped in a 10 goldie to 10 gallon tank situation. Or mixed with others of their genus (tokay, marbled, white-lined) to the point that they’re constantly stressed, their immune system is at jeopardy, and they’re very sick.

I have no idea why you’re asking if you can keep the two very different species together. Have you even looked at the caresheets for both? Were you waiting for someone like Audio - who knows next to nothing about goldie care - to come in with a ’maybe’ so you can go ahead and try it? Don’t. You’ll end up some some extreme disappointment, stress, possible disease transfer, and dead lizards.

05/08/08  01:16pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1729290

Can I ?

Now that I got that out of my system, you should have separate tanks for the goldies and keep them far from the crested geckos. 20 gallons minimum per golden gecko, bigger is always better.

And please, use some common sense. "I want to throw the goldies in with my cresties to terrify my crested gecko into loosing weight!" How does that sound to you?

05/08/08  01:18pm

Skullz
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1729292

Can I ?

wow ok dont spazz out.. its just a question.
im thinking on switching my tanks bc the goldies are in a smaller tank then my crested (its the one the lady put them in when she bought them). im trying to get the heat up but its rele hard bc my house is like 68 degrees so i got the lights and blackets over them.. its still doesnt seem like enough but theyve been living in worse conditions (the lady did less research then i did).
im just curious you dont have to freak out jeeze

05/08/08  05:25pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1729516

Can I ?

It’s better I freak out now than let you go ahead with it. How would you feel if I didn’t, you went ahead with it, then woke up the next morning to find your tank strewn with nice crestie guts?

Be sure you have a digital thermometer, as the others don’t read temps all that well. If your current lamp or heating method doesn’t work to the point that the tank is in the upper 80s during the day, buy a lizard lamp for ten dollars and a 70 watt bulb. If the tank is too small, like one 20 gallon, buy a 60 watt bulb.

The goldies should honestly be separated into different tanks. I’m sure the female doesn’t want to be stuck getting gravid and pumping out eggs constantly, what with the male constantly pestering her.

05/08/08  11:12pm

Skullz
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1729929

Can I ?

ya thanx but still i just need a nice yes or no not a person to freak out on me (my parents do taht enough)
actaully the goldens seem to avoid each other, plus they havent had eggs for about a year i think

05/09/08  05:36pm

Geicko gecko
View Profile

Message To: Skullz   In reference to Message Id: 1730533

Can I ?

no there very different lizards

10/29/09  05:28pm

Back to Geckos-Golden Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area