Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Gargoyle Forum

Mizj   GekkoniDazed   Mizj   GekkoniDazed  
 Member  Message

Mizj
View Profile

Gargoyle fighting

I Recently got a male and female Gargoyle snow gecko, I love them they are healthy having a little trouble on finding out what they like to eat i have been reading all the posting on what to give them to eat and started them on cgd, and some bananas a couple of times a week the problem we are having is we put them together in a nice little home it went ok for awhile until he bit her tail so we put him into a smaller cage inside the large one so they could see each other....a couple of weeks later we put them together again it went ok for awhile then he bit her on the back of the neck so we separated the aquarium so they can still see each other .... so is this normal is this part of the mating or what ???

10/29/08  05:51pm

GekkoniDazed
View Profile

Message To: Mizj   In reference to Message Id: 1889894

Gargoyle fighting

Gargoyle geckos are notorious for being more aggressive, especially males to other males, and females to the males during breeding times. How large are your two geckos? Are they of breeding age? You have to be sure they are old enough and large enough to handle the stresses of breeding and being kept together. Keep them seperate until they are both 40 grams or more. (some people will recommend different size ranges for what is safe, so keep that in mind) Make sure the male is at least the same size as the female or he will likely get injured by the dominating female. Gargoyles lose their tails very often as well due to this heightened aggression. They do regenerate their tails, so don’t worry about that so much as their overall health. My best advice is to keep them separate until you know for sure they are big enough to breed.

11/02/08  01:03am

Mizj
View Profile

Message To: GekkoniDazed   In reference to Message Id: 1891665

Gargoyle fighting

Thank you for getting back to me i will keep them separate until they put on some weight they are still not eating well i am trying everything i have had them for about 2 months but have been thinking about outing some over head heat on them they are not active during the day. Can you suggest something they might like to eat tried bananas, meal worms, wax worms, cgd, only thing they will eat is crickets. I think they are about 2 years old.

11/02/08  12:48pm

GekkoniDazed
View Profile

Message To: Mizj   In reference to Message Id: 1891866

Gargoyle fighting

Keep up with the live foods like crickets and roaches (properly dusted with calcium of course) until you can get them eating the CGD. Try the 2-part diets...the ones where you mix nectar and base so you have different flavor options. Normally, gargoyles aren’t too picky and will eat anything put in front of them. The CGD will be the best thing for them though. Offer it 3 times a week and live foods maybe only once or twice every couple weeks. You really want them eating the CGD as the main part of their diet, so don’t give up on getting them to eat it. They won’t starve themselves to death, and will eventually take to it with time. Just be patient.

11/03/08  09:18pm

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area