Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Gargoyle Forum

Peas_on_earth   KiruSama   Peas_on_earth   KiruSama   KiruSama   S.  
 Member  Message

Peas_on_earth
View Profile

Baby gargoyle help

I got a gargoyle gecko today at a shop where they kept him in a small tub with some dirt in it. He or she won’t go after crickets, even small ones. I made some mashed peaches and mashed bananas and it ate a piece of banana and is licking the rest of the mashed food well.

It’s kinda skinny and just a baby, length of my middle finger. I’ve got a tank set up already, but can anyone give me some good dietary advice?

07/24/08  06:42pm

KiruSama
View Profile

Message To: Peas_on_earth   In reference to Message Id: 1807574

Baby gargoyle help

I would recommend a few different things,

First I would recommend switching him to paper towels, because sometimes they accidentally eat some dirt while chasing crickets, and that could cause impaction.

Second have you heard of Crested Gecko Diet? If not you really should look into it. What it is, is a Meal Replacement Formula. It’s much better for them then fruit.

Also What is the temperature at and humidity.

And it can take up to a week for them to settle in and start eating. in about a week you should try crickets

hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to ask them!!

07/26/08  12:55am

Peas_on_earth
View Profile

Message To: KiruSama   In reference to Message Id: 1809059

Baby gargoyle help

First, thank you for replying! I ordered some gargoyle gecko diet, which I’m assuming is similar to crested gecko diet.

He’s on reptile carpet at the moment. Temp is around high 70’s/low 80s and at night it’s about 60s. He gets uvb as well as uba lights during the day. but all he does during the day is hide in his coconut cave.

He’s very skinny so I’m assuming he wasn’t eating much at the petshop either. He was in a deli dish with wet soil on the bottom. poor fella.

I’m worried because he’s just a baby. this morning I found some white droppings and some dirt droppings. His mouth is not full or dirt cuz he tried to bite me when i was cleaning his cage and I saw into it. He seems to be running around his cage cuz I leave baby food in there for him at night and he walks on it and smears it all over his cage...thus the cleaning of the paws in the morning.

He’s skinny and a baby; he’s the length of my middle finger so very small. He’s active and not lethargic and is very big on bitting...which I dont’ mind. He’s gonna make it, right? I’d hate for him to not make it.

I’m going to to try some jumpstart, which is an appetite stimulant and lots of vitamins. I’ve used it on my anoles with great success. Hopefully that will jumpstart him up.

07/26/08  11:23am

KiruSama
View Profile

Message To: Peas_on_earth   In reference to Message Id: 1809345

Baby gargoyle help

Quote:

I ordered some gargoyle gecko diet, which I’m assuming is similar to crested gecko diet.

What was the Brand you Ordered? and Yeah they are pretty much the same thing

Quote:

He’s on reptile carpet at the moment. Temp is around high 70’s/low 80s and at night it’s about 60s. He gets uvb as well as uba lights during the day. but all he does during the day is hide in his coconut cave.

Gargoyle’s Don’t need any light source. And If possible try not to let his temps get higher then 80F.

Quote:

His mouth is not full or dirt cuz he tried to bite me when i was cleaning his cage and I saw into it.

Just to point out the problem with dirt isn’t it getting stuck in his mouth it’s them eating it and not being able to digest it right. Then It causes Impaction. As Long as he’s pooping he’s fine.

Quote:

He seems to be running around his cage cuz I leave baby food in there for him at night and he walks on it and smears it all over his cage

Baby Food CAN be used but isn’t recommend. It’s very high in sugars and isn’t high in protein. You can use it until you Get you gargoyle Diet in.

How often do you spray his tank? and What’s the humidity. Forgive me if you said in you last post and I didn’t see it.

You say He’s really skinny, Can you see all his bones or something? Is it possible to post some pictures?

07/26/08  12:45pm

KiruSama
View Profile

Message To: KiruSama   In reference to Message Id: 1809408

Baby gargoyle help

I forgot to add that they have very small stomachs and sometimes you can’t tell when they eat. I Have two Crested Geckos and One Gargoyle and I’m always worried about if they’re eating enough. So what I did is bought a Scale that weighs in Grams and I just weigh them at the end of every week. That way I can tell if their eating enough or not eating or losing weight or whatever. I would recommend looking into getting a scale. It’ll help you.

07/26/08  12:52pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: KiruSama   In reference to Message Id: 1809412

Baby gargoyle help

They don’t make the gargoyle gecko diet anymore so if a store ordered it for you they may not have known or they know of a place who still has it in stock. See if you can just get the Crested gecko diet since once the back stock of the GGD is out you are going to have to switch anyways. Fresh mashed fruit is fine once a week or 2. Mine love it as a treat. Oh and don’t be surprised if your little guy wont eat crickets none of mine will but they do like a few types of worms and roaches.

07/28/08  03:12pm

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area