Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Gargoyle Forum

Ad3   S.   Ad3   Xpantherx   S.  
 Member  Message

Ad3
View Profile

3rd Grade research assignment

I have a 3rd grader that is researching gargolye geckos as part of a continuing English assignment (3rd in the fourth of a series of assignments, one each grading period.) He needs to have contact with at least two people who would have expertise in the gargoyle gecko field and ask several questions. Is anyone willing to help him with this? If so, please respond to this post. He’s going to need list some "contact" information, but I would imagine that it doesn’t need to be any more than your posting membership title and this website. He will list the questions under this post, and then follow up with pulling the answers for his paper.

He won’t take up much of your time, and I will monitor all correspondence with him via this website.

Thank you in advance.

02/05/08  06:05pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: Ad3   In reference to Message Id: 1611044

I’m willing to help. I’m better with cresteds but I have 2 gargoyles, one is an adult and the other is only 4 grams. I’ll answer what I can.
Here are some pictures you can use.
My adult male, Brooklyn.

TTFN
Sarah

02/06/08  02:37am

Ad3
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1612025

The questions are now ready to go. His project has to be completely written by 2/29, so we will now be visiting this site each day or two to check for posts and updates. If you would like to send responses back directly to email, you may do so at and we will catch them there as well.

Thanks Sarah, for volunteering to help.

Questions on Gargoyle Gecko

1. How long have you been working with Gargoyle Geckos?
2. How many Gargoyle Geckos do you have?
3. What do you find most interesting about Gargoyle Geckos?
4. How did they become a pet?
5. How did they get their name?
6. What color are you trying to get?
7. What characteristics are you trying to get?
8. What do they eat in captivity different then in the wild?
9. What diseases or problems do they get in captivity that they don’t get in the wild?
10. What diseases or problems do they get in the wild that they don’t get in captivity?
11. What is its niche in the wild?
12. What is their scientific name?
13. What color are they normally found in?

02/15/08  07:15am

Xpantherx
View Profile

Message To: Ad3   In reference to Message Id: 1624570

Hi ad3, sorry this reply is so late, but I hope it can still help.
I currently do not have any garg’s, but I used to have a pair. I personally really like their head structure, and their rather calm temperament.
They came into the trade along with the other Rhacodactylus geckos, after a "rediscovery" made by scientists. Though now New Caledonia requires proper paper documentation and permits before any export any of their animals.

From what I know, they got their name from their very bony head structure.

Selective breeding of these geckos generally tries to produce the highest orange animals, specifically the striped auriculatus over the reticulated ones. And as for size, larger is generally always preferred.

In the wild they generally eat larger insects, fruit pulp, and nectar. In captivity, keepers try to mimic their natural diet, feeding a variety of insects like roaches and crickets. Worms like silkworms and horn worms can also be offered, but my personal experience has shown that geckos prefer to go after an insect that moves more. There are also many "complete" diets, that just need to be mixed with water for Rhac geckos. Pureed fruits can also be offered.

In captivity, these geckos are pretty hardy, though internal parasites can always arise, stress, shedding problems due to improper humidity, wounds from mishandling the gecko, and metabolic bone disease from lack of calcium, which is probably the most frequently seen.
In the wild, they do tend to bask occasionally in the sun, getting D3 naturally and aiding in calcium absorption. Thus MBD is not generally seen. What is however is infection, parasites, and death due to natural causes. In both situations, a gecko can always damage another gecko.

They live in low scrub bush, between the forest floor and canopy.

Their scientific name is Rhacodactylus auriculatus.

They are naturally found in darker colors, aiding them to blend in. And there are generally more reticulated geckos than striped ones.
Hope this helps,

~k

02/20/08  03:12pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: Ad3   In reference to Message Id: 1624570

A~
1. a few months w/ gargs about 1.5 years with other Rhacs and 20 years with reptiles.
2. 2 one adult and one baby
3. That they are so aggressive but tend to stay away for feeder insects. Plus, they are just SO cute!
4. a pet of mine or in the pet trade? (A. they are from the islands of New Caledonia and were brought over into the pet trade in 1994. B. I fell in love with the entire Rhac. family and have made it my goal to keep one of each)
5. The knobs/horns on there head.
6. RED =)
7. Larger geckos
8. In the wild they eat smaller geckos and rotting fruit. At my house the eat Crested Gecko Diet.
9. All the general problems they can get in captivity they can get in the wild. But add in human error in as a risk.
10. The risk is greatly increased in the wild for things like internal/external bacterial and parasites broken. Also there is always the predator issues.
11. niche? hmm...well I would think it would be population control of smaller geckos and insects also they move around fruit seeds when the eat them. Thats a good one, I never really thought about it before. =)
12. Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
13. They can change colors but the wild ones are generally a whitish-gray to brown/black depending on the color they are showing at the time. Reds & oranges are are less common in the wild.

Hope this got to you in time...will post this on your other post as well.

TTFN

02/25/08  03:41am

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area