Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Gargoyle Forum

Ggowner1   Djl   Ggowner1   BC Bloodlines   Djl   BC Bloodlines   BC Bloodlines  
 Member  Message

Ggowner1
View Profile

I need help asap

my name is Anthony. i recently obtained a gargoyle gecko from a girl i used to know. my gecko is 2-3 yrs old. i have a couple of questions. first of which, may i feed him sweet potato baby food? and another is as follows. my gargoyle is a little pale and he is not eating. i will appreciate as much help as possible.

10/04/07  12:24pm

Djl
View Profile

Message To: Ggowner1   In reference to Message Id: 1467144

I need help asap

Good luck getting replies. Garg forum is DEAD. But I will tell you how I care for my gargs. If she likes them you can give crickets. My guys get them every 2 weeks or so. They donít have to have them. I just give them for the hunt. I feed my guys cgd(crested gecko diet) only because I have a hard time finding ggd. And I have a few cresties. My gargs love the cgd by T REX. I donít recommend baby food at all. No nutrition. But if you have to til you get cgd or ggd use FRUIT babyfood.(not citrus) Like apricots,peaches etc. It is hard to get them off the baby food though. I feed(cgd) a gatorade lid full every other night. If you mix the cgd right it has everything they need. Good Luck.

10/04/07  06:32pm

Ggowner1
View Profile

Message To: Djl   In reference to Message Id: 1467538

I need help asap

my guy is still pretty pale. he gets dark now and then. but he likes to stay in the fake leaves i have for him. what do u think i should do for him?

10/05/07  01:49pm

BC Bloodlines
View Profile

Message To: Ggowner1   In reference to Message Id: 1468354

I need help asap

Being pale isnít a sign of illness. Rhacs are polychromatic and change their colours depending on mood, time of day, environmental factors such as humidity etc. We have a Red female who can get a firey brick red but is generally a pale pink. She is fit as a fiddle but isnít generally coloured up during the day when we would be able to see it. I for the most part agree with the statement about diet with a few exceptions. Gargoyles need much more protein than Cresteds, especially in the growth stages. If you are only feeding CGD instead of GGD(higher protein level) then you may run into problems such as slower growth or even stunting. Stunting doesnít only effect the over all size of the animal but also can cause issues with organs and other health problems. This is not to say that it will happen but there is certainly a reason there is a GGD made. Also I highly suggest having your Garg eat crickets if you are not feeding GGD solely. The protein is an absolute must. Finally, it is a matter of opinion whether or not to use MRP diets at all, but from my opinion as a breeder and keeper of dozens of Rhacs that CGD and GGD are not the be all and end all of diets. We use a fresh fruit and yogurt diet supplimented with calcium and vitamines with crickets being atleast 50% of their diet. Again this is a matter of opinion and it has a tendance to spark wars on many boards and I do not wish to participate in such childish banter. Just offering my experienced opinions hich are shared by many quality and reputable breeders.

10/05/07  03:37pm

Djl
View Profile

Message To: BC Bloodlines   In reference to Message Id: 1468467

I need help asap

Now when I posted ?ís on here before I got my garg. I was told they could eat cgd. Alot of people that answered said they were feeding cgd to their gargs. She hasnít had any problems. Growing like a weed. So, should I switch her?

10/05/07  05:21pm

BC Bloodlines
View Profile

Message To: Djl   In reference to Message Id: 1468588

I need help asap

Unfortunetly all you will be getting is opinions for you do decide on yourself. IMO if you are feeding a complete diet powder (which I prefer not to) then you should be feeding the one desighned for the animal eating it. Yes you can use CGD if you like but you can also feed cat food to a dog. There is not a huge difference between the two formulas and adding crickets to the diet can increase the lack of protein in the CGD. Of course if you read the instructions they reccomend only feeding the CGD not other food sources so adding crickets is against their suggestions. If we are speaking of their suggestions (which I would assume you would try to follow if you want to use their product) then using the formulas designed for each species as it was intended would probably be your best bet. Again this is my opinion and I am sure many other people may not agree with me. Such is life and it is up to you to decide what argument makes a better case.

10/11/07  03:49pm

BC Bloodlines
View Profile

Message To: BC Bloodlines   In reference to Message Id: 1475078

I need help asap

Nice Gargs by the way.

10/11/07  03:51pm

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area