Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Gargoyle Forum

Jo37   Djl   Jo37   S.   Djl   Sarraye   S.   S.   Djl   S.   PersephenesKeeper  
 Member  Message

Jo37
View Profile

Care

Hi, can you give me a bit of info about the care. I have read a few caresheets but they have contradicting advice which is very confusing!

08/28/07  08:54am

Djl
View Profile

Message To: Jo37   In reference to Message Id: 1422538

Care

Hi, Jo
I still check in here from time to time. Do you have cresties? I take care of my garg the same as cresties. Right down to the feedings. I mist lightly in the am. Heavily in the pm. Feed cgd to all( some people donít feed cgd to gargs some do-your preference) every other night. ( except gargamel eats like a pig, so he gets new every night) He has gained approx. 15 grams since we got him. I would keep babies on paper towels. Then around 5-6 mos I put mine on peat moss. They like it, and thatís what works for me. Gargamel has branches and vines and a hide.(as do the cresties) Heís happy. Also I donít use water dishes (again some do, some donít-your choice) Although, when I set my exo-terra up I am making a bubbling fountain out of a mini water pump. I am putting my females in there. I just never get time to get to it. Sorry so long. It gets lonely in here!!LOL

08/28/07  01:03pm

Jo37
View Profile

Message To: Djl   In reference to Message Id: 1422768

Care

Wow I got a response!

LOL knew you would give me some good advice, I was going to PM you if you hadnít replied by the weekend!

Yeah I have a crestie called Harry, three bearded dragons Jabba, Nexu and Leia and a collared lizard called Jango - so got a bit of a housefull

Do you think Gargamel is easier to look after then a crestie? Harry is really fussy with his food.

I have seen some caresheets that say you need a UVB light and also a bulb to provide a basking spot as sometimes they bask in the day....

08/28/07  02:10pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: Djl   In reference to Message Id: 1422768

Care

dji~ how many crickets dues your guy eat a week or even a night?

08/28/07  02:12pm

Djl
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1422855

Care

My guys are not fussy eaters. I just put it in there and they eat. (mostly when Iím not lookin). They get fresh every other night. No lights are needed. If they get too warm it could be bad for the geckos. We have central air and they are doing great. But our beardies and snakes they have their heat and lights.

I have some cresties that wonít even look at crickets. Sometimes my garg will eat them and sometimes not. I have one crestie that will eat 5-7 lg. I donít have a schedule for crickets as they donít have to have them. Usually once a week. Maybe twice. As long as my guys are eating cgd and gaining weight. I know all is good.

08/28/07  03:47pm

Sarraye
View Profile

Message To: Jo37   In reference to Message Id: 1422538

Care

Gragoyles apparently LOVE fruits. I feed baby food a few times a week (mainly because my belnder broke and been too picky on buying a new one). Crickets about 3-4 times a week about 4 at a time. Dust crickets once a week. Been doing some research and will be adding cgd mixtures and vitamins.
Adults need to be misted at least once a day, younger then 6 months usually do good with 2x. You can use substrate, papper towels etc. Just like any other reptile there are dangers to substrate if your gargoyle swallows any but havenít had problems with mine.
They are climbers and jumpers so tall cages vs long.
I leave my night light on (for me) and turn it off during the day except on cold days/winter. I have an undertank heater on one small part of my tank. I have a water dish. MY guy is fat and happy. WIll try to post a picture lol. Am actually in the process of looking for females because I donít liek him being all alone. I have a 10 gallon tank that I started him in and am moving him to the a lg exo-terrium tank.

08/30/07  12:37am

S.
View Profile

Message To: Sarraye   In reference to Message Id: 1425121

Care

Tell me if I am wrong on this...But I have heard that male Gargs will sometime fight the females as well as the males. There for it is best to only put a male with a female for breeding then separate them agen. Whoís male garg was it that killed two females? Iím sure it was a vary red garg but I canít remember whoís.

08/30/07  01:18pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1425583

Care

It was "snmreptiles" who had one male kill 2 females. If I were you I would not risk putting in a female and a male together I would have 2 tanks and put them together from time to time. I would put the male into the females tank not the other way around.

08/30/07  01:27pm

Djl
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1425596

Care

Yea, only for breeding, then separaate them. I am still looking for a mate for gargamel. Maybe I will find one at the Mars show in Sept. Thing is if they dont have geckos I keep coming home with snakes!! LOL.

08/30/07  04:35pm

S.
View Profile

Message To: Djl   In reference to Message Id: 1425817

Care

Mars??? When did they start having shows on Mars? I mean I knew the reptile expos were big...LOL. I know very bad Joke. It just took me a moment when I saw that. I am such a dork and very board. We need more going on in here! =)

08/31/07  01:07am

PersephenesKeeper
View Profile

Message To: S.   In reference to Message Id: 1426584

Mixing Gargs and Cresteds

I also heard the female Gargoyles are more aggressive than the males....is that true? Something about being careful how many (usually not more than one) male with several females. I think you have to be careful putting a smaller one in the same cage (crested or gargoyle). The Petsmart gal told me mine bit off the tale of a smaller Crested one and so she adopted it out of the store. Iím not sure how much younger the Crested was.

09/05/07  05:38am

Back to Geckos-Gargoyle Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area