Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Crested Forum

Brian1013   D MAN   Dr. Tegu  
 Member  Message

Brian1013
View Profile

Breeding

what is the age? how do u sex your geckos? What time of year? i have a Twenty tall can i have a male and a female?

03/29/05  04:08pm

D MAN
View Profile

Message To: Brian1013   In reference to Message Id: 290362

Breeding

I think males and females can breed at a year old maybe a little older. I have read that you should wait until the female is about 35 grams and the male is around 30. When a male reaches sexual maturity it develops large bulges near the base of the tail, the female does not have this(it’s pretty easy to tell when they are older). Cresteds can breed all year except it is advised that you give them a 2 month long "rest" period. I think a 20 tall would be the bare minimum for a pair. You might want to get a 30 or a 25 gallon for them.

03/29/05  06:15pm

Dr. Tegu
View Profile

Message To: D   In reference to Message Id: 290497

Breeding

Females can reach sexual maturity at 6 months, that is also when you should be able to tell a male from a female. I also recommend waiting till the female reaches around a year because at this point she will become a very prolific breeder and there is less of a chance to hurt her. Cresteds will breed all year round but if you want a healthy female you will give her at least a month or two of resting time. The female must have extra calcium and food when she is gravid (pregnant). After she lays her eggs make sure she receive extra extra calcium to make up for the amounts she lost.

03/29/05  11:07pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area