Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Crested Forum

Jenzy75   Sobedrummer007   Sukieblur   Sobedrummer007   Jenzy75   Sobedrummer007   Destrega   Sukieblur  
 Member  Message

Jenzy75
View Profile

Sick Crestie..

Hi All,
Its been awhile since I have posted here, but I really need some advice/help. I have three cresties ( all about 6-7 mths), two are doing fine. But one seems to be really sick. He looks as if he has to shed but cant. I can see by his toes where some skin has started to flake off. But he is hardly moving and barely eats.. He was doing very well till the past 10 days. He cant climb either, I was assuming because of the skin on the bottoms of his feet. Also, his tail wont move when I pick him up it seems, very very dry and stiff... Sadly I’m sure he is dying but wanted to see if you all had any ideas if he could be helped or not...

Thanks,
Jennifer

03/25/05  02:43pm

Sobedrummer007
View Profile

Message To: Jenzy75   In reference to Message Id: 286467

Sick Crestie..

the only thing i can think of would be to increase humidity, and take him to the vet as soon as possible, hope he makes it.

-Adam

03/25/05  03:34pm

Sukieblur
View Profile

Message To: Sobedrummer007   In reference to Message Id: 286508

Sick Crestie..

Yeah, you’re definitely going to want to make sure that there is enough humidity and the vet thing would be a good idea, but from what you’ve said it seems like he’s probably too far gone to save him. You should remove him from your two others and completely sterilize the cage if you haven’t done so already. There is a serious crested gecko disease that is transferred through infected feces. You may want to have your other two treated for this disease by an experienced reptile vet.

03/25/05  03:55pm

Sobedrummer007
View Profile

Message To: Sukieblur   In reference to Message Id: 286527

Sick Crestie..

I would recommend what sukleblur said.

03/25/05  04:01pm

Jenzy75
View Profile

Message To: Sukieblur   In reference to Message Id: 286527

Sick Crestie..

Thanks to everyone who responded to me... All three have been cleared of any diseases... The sick one with a little help from my hubby, who rubbed all the skin off, he was a brave little guy and didn’t even try to jump away.... I figure cause it probably felt good to have all that skin gone. He is starting to act normal now. I still have him isolated though.. How long should I keep him alone, I don’t want to put him back too soon or at all if you all think he should be kept alone permanently...

Jennifer

03/28/05  02:39pm

Sobedrummer007
View Profile

Message To: Jenzy75   In reference to Message Id: 289291

Sick Crestie..

Thats really great that he is acting normal I would keep hem seperated for about month, maybe a little longer, examine the feces and keep track of his eating habits, and after a month if everything looks okay i think you could put him back in with the otheres. Get a second opinion, but i am pretty sure that is what would be best.

-Adam

03/28/05  03:45pm

Destrega
View Profile

Message To: Sobedrummer007   In reference to Message Id: 289328

Sick Crestie..

well Jenzy I have had the same thing kind of happen to me it’s just that he got traped in his shed they won’t eat, move, or climb and they feel really dry if it happens again just pour water on him I’m sure he’s fine and that him being trapped in his shed was the only thing wrong that dry skin is like a straight jacket to us.

03/28/05  09:54pm

Sukieblur
View Profile

Message To: Destrega   In reference to Message Id: 289725

Sick Crestie..

If it was just that your crested couldn’t get out of its skin then you are having serious humidity issues. You may want to consider spraying down your tank more frequently. I would quarantine for 90 days and of course make sure that he’s eating and pooping regularly.

03/29/05  12:07am

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area