Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Crested Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mk17rules   Weejimmy   Mk17rules   Weejimmy   Mk17rules   Weejimmy   Mk17rules   Mk17rules   Weejimmy   Mk17rules  

Member  Message

Mk17rules
View Profile

Suggestions? ?:)

Hello im getting a crested gecko in a month and am curious of a few things

1:do they need heat lights? (My room stays about 71-75 degrees its 75 in the day n goes to 71 at night)
2:whats the best substrate?
3:vivarium size?
4:temperament wise which gender is nicer lol. (Im sure theres no difference but always good to ask)
5:how do I keep humidity up?
6: how many times in do I spray the tank while spraying (not how many times a day just like how many squirts lol)
7:whats the best humidity percentage I should keep it at.
8: what morphs do you guys like:)

08/21/13  07:21pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2300567

1) you do not need a light. Your temps will be fine. A light is more of a personal preference for you. I personally dont have one and dont need one.
2) well i personally use reptile bark and think it works great for humidity. You could also use eco earth. With any substrate just make sure if youre feeding crickets, do not just let the crickets have free range of the tank, put them in a bowl they cant escape or take the gecko out to feed in a tub or something. Or if you dont really care about looks and want easy cleanup just use paper towels.
3) i have a 10 gallon tank, but my gecko is still small. If your gecko is going to be a juvenile or small i would suggest something about 10 gallons until they grow so they dont have issues finding their food. When they grow make sure you get something tall so it can climb. I would suggest the 18x18x24 exo terra terrarium for an upgraded tank when they grow out of the small one! They can live the rest of their life in that size tank.
4) really there is no temperment issues between genders. Obviously, if you have a male he will do some male like things. Females are just well...females. Needs are different if breeding, though. Females need a lot of calcium in their diet to produce healthy eggs.
5) by misting! If you have a screen top and are not going to have a light i would put some wash cloths on the screen to kind of limit too much air flow. I do it, it works better than leaving it an open screen top.
6) with any of the above substrates, you just mist 2-3 times a day to moisten the substrate and wet the cage to hydrate the gecko(has something to drink). Be sure to get a hygrometer so you do not mist too much. It is generally more important to have the humidity higher at night than during the day since theyre nocturnal. As to how many times to squirt, as many squirts as it takes to moisten the substrate and to give a mist to the whole cage for water droplets. There isnt a set amount haha!
7) during the day 50-60% should be fine. At night make sure you get it up there around 70 so as the night progresses itll gradually go down until morning. I generally never let mine go below 40%
8) hhmm tough one! I think harlequins have a really impressive look to them. But then again there are full pinstripes that are AMAZING! Flame is great! I couldnt pick a favorite haha!

08/21/13  08:49pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2300568

Lol okay:) and im planning adult female :) and also one more question how many crickets do i feed her? And how often? And yeah ive been thinking about the chocolate harlequin or a dalmation:)

08/21/13  10:02pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2300571

Well, really they could live their whole life on CGD with nothing else. I give crickets though because my gecko loves them. I suggest maybe crickets like once a week. And make sure they are coated in calcium powder and gut loaded before feeding them to the gecko. As to how many, i usually give mine 3-4.

08/22/13  06:34pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2300596

Okie dokie sweet its getting so close to the expo!!! im so stoked!!:)

08/24/13  06:21pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2300629

An with reason!!! Crested geckos are such great pets! When you get it be sure to try and post a pic or two and show it off!

08/26/13  06:51am

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2300666

Oh trust me I for sure will:)

08/26/13  09:46pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2300676

so i unfortunately cant get pictures to upload... but i ended up getting 2 crested geckos at the Wasatch reptile expo in September last year i got a male phantom pinstripe and a female cream harlequin :)! then in January i got a Halloween Harlequin unsexed baby from a breeder in my area ! i wish i could get my pictures to upload they are all gorgeous!!!!

02/04/14  01:55pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2303382

I dont know how to properly post pics either so ill tell you what i do. Create a free photobucket account and create an album for your cresties. Make a new post on here and paste the link to the album in the text box and then press the end link button.

02/05/14  12:32pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2303422

oh okay :) that seems like a fun account anyways! thanks ill for sure post some!

02/10/14  06:58pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area