Geckos-Crested Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dkerr5   Weejimmy   Dkerr5   Weejimmy  

Member  Message

Dkerr5
View Profile

HELP!! New Crestie

Hi, so i have a new crestie, which they arevery cool by the way but i have some questions.
1. How do i keep th humidity up. I am constantly spaying in there to keep the humidity from oing dowm
2. What do tgey eat right now he is eating canned papaya from a pet store
3. What wattage light bulb should you have. I have a 50watt day and night bulb
4. His basking spot is warm but the other side of the cage is cool, is that ok?
5. I know he is nocturnal, but does he hide all the time because he is adjusting to his new place or could there be a bigger problem
i have had him for a day ! Thanks for takimg.the time to look at my questions and help me out!

01/25/13  08:21pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Dkerr5   In reference to Message Id: 2290484

HELP!! New Crestie

1. What kind of cage are you using? Mesh or glass? If glass what kind of lid are you using? Any hole in it?

2. I recommend stop feeding papaya. If anything give it to him as a treat like every 2 weeks or maybe every month. If your willing you could order the repashy crested gecko diet online. Theres a variety of flavors you can choose. Or you can go buy the bottled repashy at petco. Its a powder mix and you just add some water to a little repashy and it should be the consistancy of a watery milk shake. You can also give him some calcium dusted crickets or roaches as a special treat once every 2 weeks or every month. Or if youd like he can live strictly on the repashy diet.

3. I personally dont have any lights on my gecko. The temp is just fine without it and being nocturnal the natural light through the window is enough. It also helps with the humidity. The light wouldnt be making the mist evaporate as fast.

4. They dont really need a basking spot but as long as there is a place for him to go and cool down if he likes i guess hes okay. Again though he doesnt really need the basking light. They are nocturnal.

5. Mine hides all day and comes out at night. Again theyre nocturnal and are not going to do much (if anything) during the day. Nothing to worry about. If you were looking for something for daytime action i wouldve gotten a green anole or maybe a beardie.

Hope this helped some! Good luck i know i love mine!! Theyre so easy to care for!

01/26/13  08:46am

Dkerr5
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2290506

HELP!! New Crestie

Thanks for responding. He is in a 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh top. I did get some repashy today, so he will beeating tgat! Hes really not near any windows but i have an open livimg room thats connected to my sun room so its makes it bright in there. The thermostat in my apartment says 77, so he should be fine you think. But sobfar he is awesome, hes is so calm when holding him......very cool!! I just want to get used to him, this is my first reptile, and i just want him to be comfortable, happy, and healthy! Also he is a baby, i never stated it i dont know if it matters. Thanks for helping out again!

01/26/13  03:45pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Dkerr5   In reference to Message Id: 2290546

HELP!! New Crestie

Sounds a bit similar to my current enclosure! My tank was leaking all of the humidity. So what i did was put two square wash cloths on top of the lid. It held the humidity in longer and made life sooo much easier. I only mist like 2-3 times a day now! And the temp sounds fine to me! Have fun with the little guy, theyre soo cute and wonderful pets!!

01/27/13  05:48pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area