Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Crested Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Winny117   BloodyEdge   Winny117   BloodyEdge   Winny117   BloodyEdge   Winny117   BloodyEdge  

Member  Message

Winny117
View Profile

Getting a new Crestie soon

HEy guys! I am new to this section of the forum (I usually stick to the BP forum) but I am thinking about getting a crested Gecko! I have done a good bit of research on care for them and I have found that as long as my house temps stay around 70 degrees I can keep the CG in a Kritter Keeper until approx 9 months old. Also that I do not need a heat source because they thrive in room temps. Also when feeding the CGD every other day, should you take the food out on the off days? Or just leave it in until you remake the food? But I plan on getting a baby CG and keeping it in a Medium/Large Kritter Keeper with a small water bowl and small food bowl. I would feed it CGD primarily and maybe crickets every once in a while. Also I will put in a shrub or two to clutter it up some. Does this setup sound ok? I plan on getting a Zoomed tall tank eventually but dont want to fork out the money quite yet.

08/20/12  09:15am

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Winny117   In reference to Message Id: 2277336

HI! :P yes 70-82 is tolerable. i try and keep mine around 75-76. i feed mine everyday, mind you they wont eat every day but i offer it to them anyhow. one of my crested will not touch CGD and another loves it. so i have a feeding dish that the crickets cant get out off and pretty much leave 2 in at almost all time and do every other cricket with calcium powder. heads up some of those crested geckos are picky little basters, but its probably because i give them options to be picky lol. shrubs yes! anything and everything, they love climbing and jumping around. as far as the tank, that will work fine. with the baby’s i dont even have them in my larger Terrarium. i use the Exo terra 18” x 18” x 24 and i have three in there very comfortably. i keep the small guys in a Exo Terra 12” x 12” x 18”. i personally would not keep it in a critter keeper just because i know how active and how much they love to Climb at night. other than that i hope you get one! there awesome!

08/21/12  08:39pm

Winny117
View Profile

Message To: BloodyEdge   In reference to Message Id: 2277502

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I plan of putting the CG into a exoterra like your talking about. Can you house 1 adult in one of those 12x12x18 tanks?

08/22/12  08:49am

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Winny117   In reference to Message Id: 2277542

Recommened size for an adult is 20 gallons. An exo of that size is say some were around 11-12 gallons. it will easily fit one adult, but will not leave him/her much room for exploring, they are very active at night and the bigger the better. but if your tight on space and or budget are limited i see no problem housing him/her in a 12x12x15 (you may get flack from the hatters butt haters going to hate) i would just set it up nice. and you can find a 12x12x15 around 50$ the problem i had was once you get one............... you want two more LOL i started off with the 12x12x15 and before my 1st was even an adult i got two more... so i got the 18x18x24. so i would say if you think your going to get more. go bigger, that’s just me tho lol some would say my 33 gallon 18x18x24 is to small for 3. they love it, so no complaints. if i felt they needed bigger i would go bigger. anyhow hope that help

08/22/12  11:24pm

Winny117
View Profile

Message To: BloodyEdge   In reference to Message Id: 2277599

Wow thanks! Great info! Yea I am sure I will be dying to have more. I got a Ball Python and now I want more and more reptiles! Might need to start building a stackable cage for each one i acquire! Are your crestie’s all female? If I were to put more than one in there I would not want them breeding!

08/23/12  08:34am

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Winny117   In reference to Message Id: 2277623

i have 2 females and one male in my larger Terrarium, but i do let them breed. my smaller terrarium houses the baby’s after they hatch. (they have sold all ready) i also try to separate the male from the females every so often to give them a break from him if i notice him trying to breed more often than not. that way i can help females out to prevent them from stressing out.

08/23/12  09:42am

Winny117
View Profile

Message To: BloodyEdge   In reference to Message Id: 2277624

Lucky Male Crestie... I wish I had that problem! hahahaha Thanks!

08/23/12  03:22pm

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Winny117   In reference to Message Id: 2277647

Lol no problem and good luck

08/23/12  04:08pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area