Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Crested Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Carlelei   BloodyEdge   Carlelei   Weejimmy   BloodyEdge  

Member  Message

Carlelei
View Profile

New eyelash crested gecko!! Some newbie help!

Hi everyone! I just got my crested gecko named Rizzo. He has a 12x12x8 cage and he seems to like it. Mind you he’s only a baby. The only problem I am having is the humidity drops to around 20% in like 4 hours. I spray his cage with water like crazy.I try to keep it around 60% to 80%. Also he has a 50 watt bulb on top of his cage which tops off the temp at 82. Any ideas? Thanks!

08/13/12  12:18pm

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Carlelei   In reference to Message Id: 2276627

Hey there! Hope you have been enjoying your crested gecko. Don’t know how your set up is but depending on your ventilation you could try saran wrapping 1/2 of your
Screen top and or more to keep the humidity up. It works well and o had to do it with some of my temporary set ups . See how that works and if not I may have some other ideas . Agean this is the cheap easy affective way. Good luck !

08/13/12  12:54pm

Carlelei
View Profile

Message To: BloodyEdge   In reference to Message Id: 2276633

Thanks so much I’ll definatley try that. Another thing is he won’t go down to eat I have only had him for like 2 days. Is that him still getting used to the cage or is something wrong

08/13/12  02:32pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Carlelei   In reference to Message Id: 2276641

He is Just getting used to his new environment. Pretty much all reptiles do this. Just keep offering food and just give him some time to get used to his new home. Sometimes it could even take a week or more before theyre comfortable with their new home and start to eat. If your bulb is making the cage get up to and stay at 82 degrees that could be a problem for your humidity and your gecko. The heat will make the moisture evaporate and dry up faster and the gecko should not be living in conditions over 79 degrees. If your house stays around 72-79 degrees you dont really even need a light. I dont use a light but my house is always around 72-73 degrees which is pretty perfect. Hope that helps a bit! Enjoy your new gecko! I have only just recently acquired my first crestie about a month and a half ago and i love him!

08/13/12  05:28pm

BloodyEdge
View Profile

Message To: Carlelei   In reference to Message Id: 2276641

Everything that Weejimmy said is accurate. also make sher he/she has a place to hide where it thinks its safe and remember during the day they are not very active, if at all. they also have a habit of getting Substrate in there mouth during feeding, if this happens often try an alternative way of feeding such as a feeding dish that crickets cant clime out off. if the pore little guy gets to much Substrate in its system they can die of Compaction. i have only had one of the 4 have this problem luckily i stopped it in time :P good luck !!!

08/13/12  09:54pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area