Geckos-Crested Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amberj069   Weejimmy   Amberj069   Fairy Frog Mother   Msstrongg48CG  

Member  Message

Amberj069
View Profile

Newbie!

This is my sister’s gecko, Gak. I personally have a leo so I am helping currently her training wheels during her first gecko experience. He is a cute little guy, I haven’t been able to sex him yet I will have to wait until he’s a bit bigger but I was wondering if anybody has any tips of tricks of the trade? or if anyone has any idea on the morph of him? Like I said I am no stranger to leopard geckos but like my sister I am new to cresties.

Any info would be great! Thanks in advance guys! (&girls)

partially fired up when i was taking the shots! just fyi

08/05/12  01:35pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: Amberj069   In reference to Message Id: 2275669

Newbie!

It looks very similar to mine! Im no good with morphs but i can help you out with what youll need and what is best for the gecko overall. First off is the cage. Right now it will probably fit comfortably in a 10 gallon tank but youd be better off getting it the 18x18x24 exo terra at some point. You dont want to keep it in the big cage until its bigger so it has an easier time finding food and its easier for you to check up on it. For substrate you can go as simple as paper towels. Especially when its young itll b easier to check for those little gecko poos and easier to clean. I personally use repti bark and it works great to make sure that the gecko doesnt accidentily eat some of the substrate an it keeps up humidity really well. Stay away from sands and i wouldnt recommend eco earth. They are arboreal creatures so provide plenty of things to climb on (branches, leaves, etc.). You want to make sure that you provide plenty of hiding spots made up of the hanging plants and mabe some thick, tall ground plants. I keep an empty toilet paper roll at the bottom and my gecko loves to hide in their during the daytime. They do not need any special lighting (i have no lighting at all) unless your house gets below 72 degrees during the daytime. DO NOT EXCEED 80 DEGREES!!! For food just feed it the crested gecko diet. It can live its whole life with nothing but CGD. I just use a water bottle cap as a dish. NO BABY FOOD!!! I feed the CGD every other night and once or twice a week i feed mine a special treat of calcium dusted crickets. You can also feed dusted dubia roaches, wax worms, phoenix worms, and even super worms. Do not feed mealworms! All insects fed to the gecko NEED to be dusted with calcium powder and limited to a once or twice a week thing. Once every month i feed mine an extra special treat of mushed up banana. Fresh fruits need to be limited to a once a month thing and stay away from citrus fruits. Make sure that you mist the tank and keep the humidity around 50-80%. Keep a shallow dish of water at the bottom of the cage. The gecko wont drink still water but it is almost a last resort thing and it helps with humidity. I think i got everything about care in here. If you have any other care questions just say. I hope this helped some and sorry i couldnt answer your other questions.

08/05/12  02:23pm

Amberj069
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2275673

Newbie!

thanks! i have got all of that covered minus the hide on the bottom...some of the hanging plants lay across the bottom creating a hiding space but i will advise my sister to put something more "house like" on the bottom. other than that we seem to be doing just fine. i will not hesitate to ask other questions! thanks again!!

08/05/12  03:00pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Amberj069   In reference to Message Id: 2275675

Newbie!

Oh, and with cresties, its REALLY easy to sex them. At around 6-8 months of age...Trust me. If you look under the tail, You’ll know. Their...erm....family jewels are on par with a mouses manly mousie bits. If there is nothing noticeable at the base of the tail, you have a female.

08/09/12  04:37am

Msstrongg48CG
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2276155

Newbie!

He/she is gorgeous! I love the darker color with the tan.

08/23/12  06:10pm

Back to Geckos-Crested Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area