Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Breeding Forum

Stevenzoopet   Stevenzoopet   Hachuu   Hachuu   Stevenzoopet  
 Member  Message

Stevenzoopet
View Profile

Electric blue gecko breeding info needed!!

I am going to start breeding electric blue geckos in a month and any info on how to take care of and how to breed them would be great. I do have experience with other reptiles, so I do know some things. Also I have been researching other geckos but I have found much info on the electric blue geckos.

05/10/10  10:36pm

Stevenzoopet
View Profile

Message To: Stevenzoopet   In reference to Message Id: 2146629

sorry I meant to say but I haven’t found much info on the electric blue geckos.

05/11/10  01:47am

Hachuu
View Profile

Message To: Stevenzoopet   In reference to Message Id: 2146629

Lol Your going to start breeding them in a month, no i think you got it wrong they will start breeding as soon as you get them as long as they are old enough, as long as they are in the same cage they will breed, its not like other geckos were you have to brumate or something, these guys just start breeding right away, expect a few eggs(i heard 2) every once in a while some say leave it in the tanks others say take it out, the best bet is to remove the eggs, be careful, the eggs will usually be very well hidden, if you want you can quarantine the area were the eggs are like but a plastic container over them. You know the drill the babies are small and need small Prey.

Google their care, how could you not have found a care sheet on them they are all over Google, they are becoming a big hit now, only 25 each, i remember when they were 1,000 each, lol but they breed fast so before you know it the price came down fast, the fastest i’ve ever seen in a reptile to be honest, thats how easy they are to breed.

Quote:

Scientific chart
Accepted scientific name: Lygodactylus williamsi LOVERIDGE 1952 (accepted name)
Common name: Williams’ Dwarf Gecko
Classification: AnimaliaPhylum ChordataClass ReptiliaOrder Squamata Family
Gekkonidae Genus: Lygodactylus
Distribution: Tanzania

Introduction
In the wild these blue green arboreal dwarf gecko’s can only be found in a small tropical forest in Tanzania.
They have been introduced into the hobbyist community recently due to deforestication of their natural habitat but these animals are still rare to get.
Due to intensive breeding in europe the number of CB specimens is growing but it still will take a while before they will be seen on the market more often.
I also expect strict laws in the near future to protect these little blue gems.

Size: 6- 10cm (2,5-4”)

Feeding: fruit flies, small crickets (calcium & vitamin dusted),new born roaches (white ones), phelsuma fruit & honey mixture (mixed fruit, fruit baby food, honey, vitamins)

Environment/housing: Eastern-Tanzania tropical forest
A vertical orientated tropical terrarium with lots of branches and plants.
A small/ medium sized vivarium is large enough for a pair or trio.

Temperature & humidity: 25-29°C/78-85°F and a dry, sunny place for basking. 50–80% RHV (misting provides drinking water)
UV lighting should be provided

Breeding: In a couple of weeks clutches of 2 to 4.eggs get pasted somewhere high in the enclosure. Conditions for the eggs: humid, no direct water on the eggs and temperature of 26 to 30 degrees Celsius.
No need for incubation, best to leave the eggs in the enclosure.
The parents are often not so protective of their Young and eggs so cover them with deli cup or something similar. Remove the young when hatched to another enclosure or they will become a snack for the parents.

Young animals need a lot of calcium and UV so provide them powdered fruit flies & pinheads
After 7 months they reach sexual maturity.

Sexing: dominant males have a beautiful blue color, females a copperish coloration with some dark green.
Young males or surpressed males will also be greenish like the females so the best way to sex them is to check for hemipenises bulges and femoral pores. Males often will have a full black beard while females have a lighter beard that is divided in lines.
Both sexes have a orange and yellow underside wich is as spectacular as their blue colors.

A trio with one young male and two females

Males are territorial, so keep them separated or keep them in a large enclosure with lots of hiding places to minimize encounters.
They will puff their throats, color their beards darker and swing their heads from side to side. This is followed by face licking or a short chase.

Geckosunlimited.com has a very good care sheet, it is what i put in quotes above,
Link

Good Luck

05/11/10  05:44pm

Hachuu
View Profile

Message To: Hachuu   In reference to Message Id: 2146804

Aww Man did i over do it?
Sorry about the long Post i got carried away, i my self am getting a trio(1.2) and know a lot about them, so sorry again about the wall of text, but its all good info.

Good Luck
Chris

05/11/10  05:46pm

Stevenzoopet
View Profile

Message To: Hachuu   In reference to Message Id: 2146805

Thank you so much!!! I will post some pictures once I get them.

Steven

05/11/10  06:33pm

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area