Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Breeding Forum

TGS   Hachuu   TGS   Hachuu  
 Member  Message

TGS
View Profile

Eggs keep drying out

Can someone help us please. We just lost two eggs due to drying out. The one had a baby fully developed but the egg dented and then the baby died. We have two more and they are starting to get divots in them Both are close to their due date. I have them in a container and I am think it is just too dry but when we add water to the vermiculite it molds the eggs. I have them in an incubator for heat and it also has water in it but I just don’t know what I am doing wrong.

Anyone, any help would be most appreciated. I was heartbroken tonight to find a fully developed baby in a dried out egg.

04/21/10  09:43pm

Hachuu
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2142460

Eggs keep drying out

Don’t know what type of Gecko your talking about, but you could try a soda bottle cap or something similar and put water in it and place it inside the incubator to raise the humidly, the substrate shouldn’t be saturated but moist, a drop or 2 tops should come out from squeezing it.

You could also try to make your own incubator in a tank filed with 1-2 inch of water in put a container on top of a brick in there and heat it yourself.It works really well, and of course a glass top to keep the Heat and humidity in.

Good Luck

05/08/10  06:55pm

TGS
View Profile

Message To: Hachuu   In reference to Message Id: 2146154

Eggs keep drying out

thanks for the feed back. We have crested geckos. maybe we opened the incubator too much. We are hoping to try again and I was thinking that I would test the substrate before, as we keep adding water and my daughter sprayed them and then they molded. We seemed to go from one extreme to the other.

Thanks again I will post on our next try. IF you have any other suggestions let me know.

05/19/10  12:58pm

Hachuu
View Profile

Message To: TGS   In reference to Message Id: 2148754

Eggs keep drying out

Opening it to much does not dry it out, it will only cool the temperature in the incubator, and drop the humidity.

That’s why using Vermiculite is difficult its hard to find the water to substrate ratio, if you wanna keep using it try to find that magical ratio and when you do be sure to remember it.
Here is a good link on Substrates for incubators.
Link

That why i recommend no substrate!
This is a good way to do it:
Link

I think no substrate is the way to go, its easy to use, maintain, and is impossible to mess up.

I hope the Links help You. Crested Gecko eggs are fairly easy to Incubate make sure the temp and humidity is right!Certain Temps mean certain Genders too, The key is good Temp and humidity!

Good Luck
Chris

05/20/10  08:52pm

Back to Geckos-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area